IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence
IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (TPAMI) is a scholarly archival journal published monthly. This journal covers traditional areas of computer vision and image understanding, all traditional areas of pattern analysis and recognition, and selected areas of machine intelligence. Read the full scope of TPAMI.
Expand your horizons with Colloquium, a monthly survey of abstracts from all CS transactions! Replaces OnlinePlus in January 2017.
From the October 2016 issue
Hybrid Deep Learning for Face Verification
By Yi Sun, Xiaogang Wang, and Xiaoou Tang
This paper proposes a hybrid convolutional network (ConvNet)-Restricted Boltzmann Machine (RBM) model for face verification. A key contribution of this work is to learn high-level relational visual features with rich identity similarity information. The deep ConvNets in our model start by extracting local relational visual features from two face images in comparison, which are further processed through multiple layers to extract high-level and global relational features. To keep enough discriminative information, we use the last hidden layer neuron activations of the ConvNet as features for face verification instead of those of the output layer. To characterize face similarities from different aspects, we concatenate the features extracted from different face region pairs by different deep ConvNets. The resulting high-dimensional relational features are classified by an RBM for face verification. After pre-training each ConvNet and the RBM separately, the entire hybrid network is jointly optimized to further improve the accuracy. Various aspects of the ConvNet structures, relational features, and face verification classifiers are investigated. Our model achieves the state-of-the-art face verification performance on the challenging LFW dataset under both the unrestricted protocol and the setting when outside data is allowed to be used for training.
Editorials and Announcements
- We are pleased to announce that Sven Dickinson, a professor in the Department of Computer Science at the University of Toronto, Canada, has been named the new Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence starting in 2017.
- According to Thomson Reuters' 2013 Journal Citation Report, TPAMI has an impact factor of 5.694.
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- TPAMI Essential Set now available
- State of the Journal (Feb 2016)
- State of the Journal (Jan 2015)
- Editor's Note (June 2013)
- Farewall State of the Journal (Jan 2013)
- Editor's Note (Jan 2013)
- Editor's Note (May 2012)
- Editor's Note (February 2012)
- State of the Journal (January 2012)
- Special Issue on Multimodal Human Pose Recovery and Behavior Analysis (August 2016)
- Special Section on CVPR 2014 (July 2016)
- Special Section on CVPR 2013 (April 2016)
- Special Issue on Higher Order Graphical Models in Computer Vision (July 2015)
- Special Issue on Bayesian Nonparametrics (Feb 2015)
- TPAMI CVPR Special Section (Dec 2013)
- Special Section on Learning Deep Architectures (Aug 2013)
- In Memoriam: Mark Everingham (Nov 2012)
- Introduction to the Special Section on IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (September 2012)
Access recently published TPAMI articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TPAMI content added to the digital library
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.