IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing
IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing (TDSC) is a bimonthly journal that publishes archival research results focusing on foundations, methodologies, and mechanisms that support the achievement—through design, modeling, and evaluation—of systems and networks that are dependable and secure to the desired degree without compromising performance. Read the full scope of TDSC
Expand your horizons with Colloquium, a monthly survey of abstracts from all CS transactions! Replaces OnlinePlus in January 2017.
From the July/August 2017 issue
Towards Detecting Compromised Accounts on Social Networks
By Manuel Egele, Gianluca Stringhini, Christopher Kruegel, and Giovanni Vigna
Compromising social network accounts has become a profitable course of action for cybercriminals. By hijacking control of a popular media or business account, attackers can distribute their malicious messages or disseminate fake information to a large user base. The impacts of these incidents range from a tarnished reputation to multi-billion dollar monetary losses on financial markets. In our previous work, we demonstrated how we can detect large-scale compromises (i.e., so-called campaigns) of regular online social network users. In this work, we show how we can use similar techniques to identify compromises of individual high-profile accounts. High-profile accounts frequently have one characteristic that makes this detection reliable—they show consistent behavior over time. We show that our system, were it deployed, would have been able to detect and prevent three real-world attacks against popular companies and news agencies. Furthermore, our system, in contrast to popular media, would not have fallen for a staged compromise instigated by a US restaurant chain for publicity reasons.
Editorials and Announcements
Call for Papers
- Special Issue on Emerging Attacks and Solutions for Secure Hardware in the Internet of Things
Extended Submission Deadline: July 31, 2017
- Special Issue on Security in Emerging Networking Technologies
Submission Deadline: September 31, 2017
- Open call for papers for TDSC
- The State of the Journal Editorial (January/February 2017)
- Editor's Note (July/August 2016)
- The State of the Journal (January/February 2016)
- The State of the Journal (March/April 2014)
- Editor's Note (May/June 2014)
- Editorial (January/February 2014)
- Editorial (January/February 2012)
- Special Issue on Cyber Crime (March/April 2016)
- Special Issue on Reliable and Secure VANETs (Jan/Feb 2016)
- Special Issue on Security and Privacy in Mobile Platforms (May/June 2014)
Access recently published TDSC articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TDSC content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
Swimming with Sharks: Security Roundtable