IEEE Transactions on Computers
IEEE Transactions on Computers (TC) is a monthly publication that publishes research in such areas as computer organizations and architectures, digital devices, operating systems, and new and important applications and trends.
Expand your horizons with Colloquium, a monthly survey of abstracts from all CS transactions! Replaces OnlinePlus in January 2017.
From the October 2016 issue
A New Design of In-Memory File System Based on File Virtual Address Framework
By Edwin H.-M. Sha, Xianzhang Chen, Qingfeng Zhuge, Liang Shi, and Weiwen Jiang
The emerging technologies of persistent memory, such as PCM, MRAM, provide opportunities for preserving files in memory. Traditional file system structures may need to be re-studied. Even though there are several file systems proposed for memory, most of them have limited performance without fully utilizing the hardware at the processor side. This paper presents a framework based on a new concept, "File Virtual Address Space". A file system, Sustainable In-Memory File System (SIMFS), is designed and implemented, which fully utilizes the memory mapping hardware at the file access path. First, SIMFS embeds the address space of an open file into the process’ address space. Then, file accesses are handled by the memory mapping hardware. Several optimization approaches are also presented for the proposed SIMFS. Extensive experiments are conducted. The experimental results show that the throughput of SIMFS achieves significant performance improvement over the state-of-the-art in-memory file systems.
Editorials and Announcements
- Editor's pick of the year selection, announced in the July 2016 Editorial
- Multimedia presentations of each monthly featured paper are now available in Chinese, English and Spanish
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- Special Section on Computer Arthmetic
Submission Deadline: October 28, 2016
- Special Section on Advanced Techniques for Efficient and Reliable Cloud Storage (August 2016)
- Special Section on Emerging Memory Technologies in Very Large Scale Computing and Storage Systems (April 2016)
- IEEE Transactions on Computers and IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology Joint Special Section on Defect and Fault Tolerance in VLSI and Nanotechnology Systems (March 2016)
New Essential Set
- "Cloud Computing" available at computer.org/store
- "Industrial Implementations of Floating-Point Units" available at computer.org/store
Access Recently Published TC Articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TC content added to the digital library
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
A Message from Editor-in-Chief Paolo Montuschi
Importance of Coherence Protocols with Network Applications on Multi-Core Processors
Automated Generation of Performance and Dependability Models for the Assessment of Wireless Sensor Networks