IEEE Transactions on Computers
IEEE Transactions on Computers (TC) is a monthly publication that publishes research in such areas as computer organizations and architectures, digital devices, operating systems, and new and important applications and trends.
Expand your horizons with Colloquium, a monthly survey of abstracts from all CS transactions!
From the August 2018 issue
Advanced Compressor Tree Synthesis for FPGAs
By Martin Kumm and Johannes Kappauf
This work presents novel methods for the optimization of compressor trees for FPGAs as required in many arithmetic computations. As demonstrated in recent work, important key elements for the design of efficient but fast compressor trees are target-optimized 4:2 compressors as well as generalized parallel counters (GPCs). However, the optimization of a compressor tree for minimal resources using both compressors and GPCs has not been addressed so far. As this combined optimization is a non-trivial task, three methods are proposed to find best solutions for a given problem size: 1) a heuristic that obtains compressor trees with typically less resources and fewer stages than state-of-the-art heuristics, 2) an integer linear programming (ILP)-based methodology that finds optimal compressor trees using the fewest stages possible, 3) a combined approach that partially solves the problem heuristically to reduce the search space for the ILP-based method. In all methods, the cost for pipeline registers can be included. Synthesis experiments show that the proposed methods provide pipelined compressor trees with about 40 percent less LUTs compared to trees of 2-input adders at the cost of being about 12 ...20 percent slower.
Editorials and Announcements
- TC now offers authors access to Code Ocean. Code Ocean is a cloud-based executable research platform that allows authors to share their algorithms in an effort to make the world’s scientific code more open and reproducible. Learn more or sign up for free.
- Multimedia presentations of each monthly featured paper are now available in Chinese, English, and Spanish
Call for Papers
- Special Section on Computer Arithmetic - Submission deadline: 15 Oct. 2018
- State of the Journal (Jan 2018)
- State of the Journal (Jan 2017)
- State of the Journal (July 2016)
- State of the Journal (Jan 2016)
- Special Section on Secure Computer Architectures (March 2018)
- Introduction to the Special Issue on Computer Arithmetic (December 2017)
- Special Section on Advanced Techniques for Efficient and Reliable Cloud Storage (August 2016)
- Special Section on Emerging Memory Technologies in Very Large Scale Computing and Storage Systems (April 2016)
- IEEE Transactions on Computers and IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology Joint Special Section on Defect and Fault Tolerance in VLSI and Nanotechnology Systems (March 2016)
Access Recently Published TC Articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of recently published TC content
Sign up for e-mail notifications through IEEE Xplore Content Alerts
View TC preprints in the Computer Society Digital Library
A Message from Editor-in-Chief Paolo Montuschi
Importance of Coherence Protocols with Network Applications on Multi-Core Processors
Automated Generation of Performance and Dependability Models for the Assessment of Wireless Sensor Networks