IEEE Transactions on Big Data
Expand your horizons with Colloquium, a monthly survey of abstracts from all CS transactions!
From the July-September 2018 issue
A Secure and Verifiable Access Control Scheme for Big Data Storage in Clouds
By Chunqiang Hu, Wei Li, Xiuzhen Cheng, Jiguo Yu, Shengling Wang, and Rongfang Bie
Due to the complexity and volume, outsourcing ciphertexts to a cloud is deemed to be one of the most effective approaches for big data storage and access. Nevertheless, verifying the access legitimacy of a user and securely updating a ciphertext in the cloud based on a new access policy designated by the data owner are two critical challenges to make cloud-based big data storage practical and effective. Traditional approaches either completely ignore the issue of access policy update or delegate the update to a third party authority; but in practice, access policy update is important for enhancing security and dealing with the dynamism caused by user join and leave activities. In this paper, we propose a secure and verifiable access control scheme based on the NTRU cryptosystem for big data storage in clouds. We first propose a new NTRU decryption algorithm to overcome the decryption failures of the original NTRU, and then detail our scheme and analyze its correctness, security strengths, and computational efficiency. Our scheme allows the cloud server to efficiently update the ciphertext when a new access policy is specified by the data owner, who is also able to validate the update to counter against cheating behaviors of the cloud. It also enables (i) the data owner and eligible users to effectively verify the legitimacy of a user for accessing the data, and (ii) a user to validate the information provided by other users for correct plaintext recovery. Rigorous analysis indicates that our scheme can prevent eligible users from cheating and resist various attacks such as the collusion attack.
Editorials and Announcements
- In order to promote timely publication of regular paper submissions, please note that TBD is not currently accepting proposals for new special issues until the existing publication queue has been cleared.
- TBD is pleased to participate in a free trial offering of the new IEEE DataPort data repository, which supports authors in hosting and referring to their datasets during the article submission process. Learn more about this exciting opportunity.
- We're pleased to announce that Qiang Yang, head of the Huawei Noah's Ark Research Lab and a professor at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, has accepted the position of inaugural Editor-in-Chief beginning 1 Jan. 2015. Read more.
- State of the Journal Editorial (Jan-March 2018)
- State of the Journal Editorial (Jan-March 2017)
- Welcome to the IEEE Transactions on Big Data (Jan-March 2015)
- Introduction to the IEEE Transactions on Big Data (Jan-March 2015)
- Guest Editorial: Big Data Infrastructure II (July-September 2018)
- Guest Editorial: Big Data Infrastructure I (April-June 2018)
- Special Issue on Biomedical Big Data: Understanding, Learning and Applications (Oct-Dec 2017)
- Urban Computing (April-June 2017)
- Big Scholar Data Discovery and Collaboration (Jan-March 2017)
- Big Data Analytics and the Web (July-Sept 2016)
- Big Scholar Data Discovery and Collaboration (Continued) (April-June 2016)
- Big Scholar Data Discovery and Collaboration (Jan-March 2016)
- Big Data Analytics and the Web (Oct-Dec 2015)
- Big Media Data: Understanding, Search, and Mining (Part 2) (Oct-Dec 2015)
- Big Media Data: Understanding, Search, and Mining (July-Sept 2015)
Call for Papers
General Call for Papers
Access Recently Published TBD Articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of recently published TBD content
Sign up for e-mail notifications through IEEE Xplore Content Alerts
View TBD preprints in the Computer Society Digital Library
TBD is financially cosponsored by:
TBD is technically cosponsored by: