IEEE Transactions on Computers
IEEE Transactions on Computers (TC) is a monthly publication that publishes research in such areas as computer organizations and architectures, digital devices, operating systems, and new and important applications and trends.
Expand your horizons with Colloquium, a monthly survey of abstracts from all CS transactions!
From the September 2018 issue
Cloudlets Activation Scheme for Scalable Mobile Edge Computing with Transmission Power Control and Virtual Machine Migration
By Tiago Gama Rodrigues, Katsuya Suto, Hiroki Nishiyama, Nei Kato, and Katsuhiro Temma
Mobile devices have several restrictions due to design choices that guarantee their mobility. A way of surpassing such limitations is to utilize cloud servers called cloudlets on the edge of the network through Mobile Edge Computing. However, as the number of clients and devices grows, the service must also increase its scalability in order to guarantee a latency limit and quality threshold. This can be achieved by deploying and activating more cloudlets, but this solution is expensive due to the cost of the physical servers. The best choice is to optimize the resources of the cloudlets through an intelligent choice of configuration that lowers delay and raises scalability. Thus, in this paper we propose an algorithm that utilizes Virtual Machine Migration and Transmission Power Control, together with a mathematical model of delay in Mobile Edge Computing and a heuristic algorithm called Particle Swarm Optimization, to balance the workload between cloudlets and consequently maximize cost-effectiveness. Our proposal is the first to consider simultaneously communication, computation, and migration in our assumed scale and, due to that, manages to outperform other conventional methods in terms of number of serviced users.
Editorials and Announcements
- TC now offers authors access to Code Ocean. Code Ocean is a cloud-based executable research platform that allows authors to share their algorithms in an effort to make the world’s scientific code more open and reproducible. Learn more or sign up for free.
- Multimedia presentations of each monthly featured paper are now available in Chinese, English, and Spanish
Call for Papers
- Special Section on Computer Arithmetic - Submission deadline: 15 Oct. 2018
- State of the Journal (Jan 2018)
- State of the Journal (Jan 2017)
- State of the Journal (July 2016)
- State of the Journal (Jan 2016)
- Special Section on Secure Computer Architectures (March 2018)
- Introduction to the Special Issue on Computer Arithmetic (December 2017)
- Special Section on Advanced Techniques for Efficient and Reliable Cloud Storage (August 2016)
- Special Section on Emerging Memory Technologies in Very Large Scale Computing and Storage Systems (April 2016)
- IEEE Transactions on Computers and IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology Joint Special Section on Defect and Fault Tolerance in VLSI and Nanotechnology Systems (March 2016)
Access Recently Published TC Articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of recently published TC content
Sign up for e-mail notifications through IEEE Xplore Content Alerts
View TC preprints in the Computer Society Digital Library
A Message from Editor-in-Chief Paolo Montuschi
Importance of Coherence Protocols with Network Applications on Multi-Core Processors
Automated Generation of Performance and Dependability Models for the Assessment of Wireless Sensor Networks