Goals and Scope
Special Technical Communities focus on selected technical areas and integrate contemporary tools and technology to break down silos and foster new ideas. And STCs must be innovative, elastic or agile online communities, striving to be financially self-sustainable, and self-managed.
Big Data STC serves as a forum where researchers, vendors, providers and users exchange ideas on past experience, requirements, needs and visions for promoting data science and interdisciplinary collaboration between fields. This STC provides a compensable publicity platform for industry products and services related to big data. This STC encourages suitable institutions to sponsor annual international conferences and workshops on big data.
Major scope includes the following:
- Theoretical Research: Fundamental Problems, Standardization and the Evolution of Big Data Computing Modes.
- Technology Development: Format Conversion, Big Data Transfer and Real-time Performance.
- Practical Implications: Big Data Management, Searching, Mining, and Analysis of Big Data and Integration and Provenance of Big Data.
- Data Security: Big Data Privacy, Data Quality, Big Data Safety Mechanism and Big Data Application in Information Security.
|Min Chen||Huazhong University of Science & Technology, China|
|Henry C.B. Chan||Hong Kong Polytechnic University, China|
|Yin Zhang||Zhongnan University of Economics and Law, China|
|Tarik Taleb||Aalto University， Finland|
|Ljiljana Trajkovic||Simon Fraser University, Canada|
|Rahim Tafazolli||University of Surrey, UK|
|Victor C. M. Leung||University of British Columbia, Canada|
|Luis M. Correia||Instituto de Telecomunicações, Portugal|
Read our latest Newsletter - Bigdata.
The purpose of an STC is to serve a computing community that is not served in any other fashion by existing organizations of the Computer Society (CS). The nature of the service can be varied, but at a minimum, every STC must strive to develop and distribute new, financially viable, online products and services for/to their community. STCs must always be concerned about product and service cost recovery in their operations. It is not sufficient for an STC to simply serve as a communication forum for the members of its community. The purpose defines the goals by which the STC will be evaluated.
Different from others
Compared with traditional datasets, big data brings about new opportunities for discovering new values, helps us to gain an in-depth understanding of the hidden values, and also incurs new challenges. Unfortunately, we didn’t find any STC or TC specialized for big data. Hence, it is urgent to organize a STC for big data, which can attracts the attention to solve the challenges in effectively storage, processing, and application of the explosive data
- To showcase the benefits of data-driven research.
- To demonstrate applications of big data in domains as diverse as Geoscience, Social Web, Finance, e-Commerce, Health Care, Environment and Climate, Physics and Astronomy, Chemistry, Life Sciences and Drug Discovery, etc.
- To publish whitepapers on policies, standards, products, services and best practices.
- To organize conferences and workshops to provide an offline exchange platform for researchers, vendors, providers and users.
- Showcase the benefits of data-driven research.
- Demonstrate applications of big data in domains as diverse as Geoscience, Social Web, Finance, e-Commerce, Health Care, Environment and Climate, Physics and Astronomy, Chemistry, Life Sciences and Drug Discovery, etc.
- Publish whitepapers on policies, standards, products, services and best practices.
- Organize conferences and workshops to provide an offline exchange platform for researchers, vendors, providers and users.
- Launch new Big Data publications
- Develop Big Data standards
- Develop Big Data Guide
- Publish Big Data newsletter
You Can Help Us
- Organize activities at Big Data conferences
- Review papers for Big Data conferences
- Find keynote speakers
- Contribute to Big Data publications
- Serve as/ find subject matter experts
- Author educational materials
- Solicit for Big Data resources
- Maintain web and social presence
New Positions : Call for Volunteers
View the list of IEEE CS Big Data Special Technical Community (BD STC) open positions here .
Join This Exciting Effort
If you are involved in big data, joining the computer society big data STC will give you chance to contribute your expertise as well as to expand your knowledge by working with others in this field. We have working groups on:
- Technical Activities
- Online Presence