Updated July 2021
SECTION 18 PLANNING COMMITTEE
18.1 PLANNING COMMITTEE
The Planning Committee shall be responsible for proposing strategic direction for the Society. The Planning Committee shall propose strategic goals, measurable objectives, and measurable outcomes. The Planning Committee shall provide an annual report to the Board of Governors evaluating progress toward strategic goals and recommending appropriate changes to goals, objectives, outcomes, and measurements.
The president-elect shall chair the Planning Committee. The chief staff executive shall be an ex officio, non-voting member of this committee. Additional ex officio, voting, members shall include the president, past president, first vice president, second vice president, treasurer, secretary, and chairs of each program board. Additional members of the executive staff and representatives of relevant program boards and committees may be appointed by the chair as non-voting members.
18.3 DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Planning Committee shall:
- Assist leadership in formulating, advancing, and communicating a vision for the future to IEEE and IEEE Computer Society membership.
- Establish strategic priorities.
- Maintain the IEEE Computer Society strategic planning process.
- Identify measurable objectives and measurable outcomes and evaluate them annually.
- Identify activities for meeting objectives and seek direction by the Board of Governors, as necessary, regarding the activities.
- Review the strategic plan on a continual basis and provide recommendations to the Board of Governors for modifications on an annual basis.
- Provide feedback and counsel to program boards, committees, and operations with respect to each groups’ priorities and goals.
- Work with the Finance Committee to ensure a rational linkage between strategic priorities and financial planning and budgeting.
- Ensure that each program board establishes a vitality review process for their products and services portfolio, conducts vitality reviews, and recommends to the Board of Governors to continue, modify or discontinue the reviewed products and services.