- Submissions Due: 15 July 2023
Critical infrastructures form an inevitable part of the modern interconnected world. The prime objective of critical infrastructure is to protect and preserve the communities from hazards, including energy, transportation and other infrastructure-based networks that play a crucial role. Infrastructure resilience is essential to withstand and adapt to changing conditions and recover positively from accidental attacks and other factors. Any disruption to critical infrastructures can highly impact the security and service continuity of the applications. Hence ensuring resilience across critical infrastructures is necessary for the continual operation of the services. Further, the technological transformation across critical infrastructures is rising with the energy and mobility transition. These are mainly due to increased digitization and connectivity. And at the same time, these instances bring potential vulnerabilities to critical infrastructures.
Using Artificial Intelligence can effectively help develop smart algorithms capable of performing tasks that require human intelligence. AI can be used to understand hazards, risks, vulnerabilities, and resilience gaps and augment critical infrastructure protection. Using these technologies will significantly advance critical infrastructures so that they perceive and respond to the world around them more intelligently. Also, there is no doubt that AI will not just change the services behind critical infrastructure. Still, it will help in more transformative instances that are far-reaching. The data from these applications can be collected and analyzed more intelligently, bringing more resilience to them. However, research on efficient implementations of intelligent technologies for critical infrastructure systems faces numerous challenges in uncertainty, dynamic nature, time-consuming computation, and mapping. These issues need to be addressed to create a more resilient critical infrastructure; hence, more advanced research is crucial in this domain.
This special issue focuses on the creative use of intelligent technologies to mitigate risk and increase resilience to natural disasters and terrorist attacks. Thus, it attempts to provide solutions for more reliable and secure critical infrastructure systems, mainly in engineering and energy.
Topics of Interest for this Special Issue:
- Role of AI in crisis response and recovery capabilities critical infrastructure protection
- Enhancing data protection and privacy measures in critical infrastructures with AI
- Establishing cyber resilience in critical infrastructure applications using AI
- Leveraging AI for Disaster-Based Resilient Infrastructure Mitigation Planning and protection
- Recent developments in AI models for addressing resilience in critical infrastructures failures
- AI for new design and assessment of existing structures toward resilience in Critical infrastructures related to smart transportation
- Intelligent technologies for incorporating automation and intelligence across the critical infrastructure systems
- Advances in AI for data clustering, prediction and classification of critical infrastructures
- Future of AI and related technologies for adversarial attacks in critical infrastructures
- AI-Based advanced resiliency models for securing critical infrastructure in healthcare
- Ubiquitous framework for the design of AI-based resilience models for critical infrastructure
For author information and guidelines on submission criteria, please visit the IS Author Information page. Please submit papers through the ScholarOne system, and be sure to select the special-issue name. Manuscripts should not be published or currently submitted for publication elsewhere. Please submit only full papers intended for review, not abstracts, to the ScholarOne portal.
Email the guest editor at TBA.
- Dr. Carlos Enrique Montenegro Marin; District University Francisco José de Caldas, Bogotá, Colombia
- Dr. J. Alfred Daniel; Karpagam Academy of Higher Education, Coimbatore
- Dr. Guangjie Han; Hohai University, Nanjing, China