What is the Career Outlook for Computer Science and Engineering?
It is an exciting time to pursue a career in computer science and engineering. Demand for computing and technology fields is projected to grow 13% through 2030. Advances in technology and the widespread adoption of cloud services are driving the need for professionals who can build cloud systems, parse data, and secure these systems from cyberattacks. In ZDNet’s assessment of “The Best Science Careers in 2022,” cloud engineers, AI researchers, and data scientists are top of the list for graduates with a computer science degree.
What Are the Top Computer Science and Engineering Jobs by Salary?
Computer science salaries depend heavily on location, education, experience, and field of study. Median pay for computer and information research scientists in the United States is US$131,490 as of 2021. Here are the top fields and salaries for computer science professionals.
|Computing Career Path||Minimum Education||Average Salary (USD)|
|Computer and Information Systems Manager||Bachelor's Degree||$159,010|
|Computer Hardware Engineer||Bachelor's Degree||$128,170|
|Computer Network Architect||Bachelor's Degree||$120,520|
|Computer Programmer||Bachelor's Degree||$93,000|
|Computer Systems Analyst||Bachelor's Degree||$99,270|
|Information Security Analyst||Bachelor's Degree||$120,600|
|Computer and Network Systems Administrator||Bachelor's Degree||$80,600|
What Companies Are Hiring People with Computer Science Degrees?
Many people immediately think of FAANG and Silicon Valley tech startups when thinking about what companies hire people with computer science degrees. However, these are not the only companies out there. In fact, some FAANG companies don’t rank in the top 10 companies hiring computer scientists.
FAANG: Facebook (now Meta), Apple, Amazon, Netflix, and Google.Every computing professional has their dream company or university they’d like to work for. Here are a few additional recommendations for companies you can explore for your future role.
- Quantinuum- the world's largest quantum computing company, focused on developing applications to solve the world's problems.
- Oppo- the world's leading smart device manufacturer and innovator.
- Hitachi- Hitachi commits to helping achieve a sustainable world and people's well-being by utilizing our breadth of digital and green technologies.
- Alibaba- a global leader in cloud computing and artificial intelligence, providing services to thousands of enterprises, developers, and government organizations in more than 200 countries and regions.
- Tableau-Tableau helps people see and understand data. As the world's leading analytics platform
- Computer Science Corporation (CSC)- Now known as DXC Technology, DXC delivers IT services company using the power of technology to build better futures for our customers, colleagues, environment, and communities.
- Microsoft- produces software, games, and applications for businesses and homes.
- General Dynamics- an aerospace and defense company producing products and services for aviation.
- Deloitte- offers financial and tax services and consulting for business around the globe.
- Raytheon- aerospace and defense conglomerate.
- Hewlett Packard- a technology company, delivering solutions for personal systems, printers, and 3D printing solutions
- Northrop Grumman- provides solutions for space, aeronautics, and defense.
- ManTech international- provides cyber, data collection, and analytics to the military.
- Subscription to Computer and ComputingEdge Magazines
- Professionals get 18 CSDL downloads with membership
- Save 60% when you upgrade to unlimited access ($200+ value!)
- Students get Full CSDL access at no extra cost!
- Deep discounts on +189 IEEE CS Conferences
- Access to exclusive networking events at our most popular conferences, including mentorship programs and fun activities
- Unique opportunities to serve on IEEE CS boards and committees
- Exclusive opportunities for awards and student scholarships
- And more!
Tech News Topics
Ways to Advance Your Career in Computer Science and Engineering
To get the most out of your career as an emerging professional, take advantage of the vast learning opportunities to grow your knowledge, network, and portfolio.
HackathonsHackathons are a great way to learn and grow by building things. Here are a few of our favorites.
- Hosted by IEEE Computer Chapters
- Machine Learning
- Q-munity Hack-Q-Thon - for high school and university students.
FellowshipsComputer science and tech fellowships are an opportunity for students, recent graduates, and graduate students to gain experience in their related fields. Additionally, fellowships are often paid or provide a stipend. They can also include benefits such as scholarships and funding for your research. Here are a few fellowships to consider:
- MLH Fellowship - Learn software engineering through open source projects.
- Code2040 Fellows Program - career accelerator for Black and Latinx computer science students.
- Cybersecurity Talent Initiative - up to $75,000 in tuition assistance
- Columbia University Fully Funded PhD Program in Computer Science
- Meta Research PhD Fellowship Program - tuition assistance, stipend, and conference travel scholarship.
- Georgetown University Center for Security and Emerging Technology AI/ML Fellow
Publishing ResearchPublishing your research, or future research, in a peer-reviewed journal helps disseminate information and allows the computing community to evaluate your findings. The IEEE Computer Society publishes 37 journals along with 12 magazines. Here are a few tips to help your research is successfully accepted by a peer-reviewed journal.
- Combatting Common Writing and Publishing Mistakes
- Publishing with the IEEE Computer Society
Pursuing an Advanced Degree in Computer ScienceChoosing to pursue a graduate degree in computer science or a related field is dependent on the career path you pursue. If you choose a path in research or academia, then rest assured that a graduate degree and published research will be required to advance. Additionally, in a Bureau of Labor Statistics report, by 2026, jobs requiring at least a master’s degree are projected to grow by 16%. And to no surprise, software engineering is on this list. Get an idea of what current employers require from top-tier candidates by browsing our partners’ job openings.
- Build Your Career Webinars Interactive webinars are presented every month allowing live viewers to ask direct questions on their careers and necessary skills.
- Tech News for Career Development Subscribe and follow our blog specifically tailored to help you build your career. Read interviews from top tier professionals like Susan Landau.
- Workshops and Mentorships at Conferences An open secret within professionals is the extensive opportunities provided at conferences. Visit our calendar to find a conference in your field. These often contain essential workshops and mentorship programs everyone in their early career should take advantage of.
- Student & Young Professionals Activities Committee Check out what the committee is working on and join their micro-mentoring program.
More Ways to Connect
Now is the perfect time to prepare. We think you will find these resources helpful to plan your next big move.