IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering
IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE) is an archival journal published monthly designed to inform researchers, developers, managers, strategic planners, users, and others interested in state-of-the-art and state-of-the-practice activities in the knowledge and data engineering area. Read the full scope of TKDE
IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE) has moved to the OnlinePlus publication model starting with 2013 issues!
From the November 2015 issue
Indexing Evolving Events from Tweet Streams
By Hongyun Cai, Zi Huang, Divesh Srivastava, and Qing Zhang
Tweet streams provide a variety of real-life and real-time information on social events that dynamically change over time. Although social event detection has been actively studied, how to efficiently monitor evolving events from continuous tweet streams remains open and challenging. One common approach for event detection from text streams is to use single-pass incremental clustering. However, this approach does not track the evolution of events, nor does it address the issue of efficient monitoring in the presence of a large number of events. In this paper, we capture the dynamics of events using four event operations (create, absorb, split, and merge), which can be effectively used to monitor evolving events. Moreover, we propose a novel event indexing structure, called Multi-layer Inverted List (MIL), to manage dynamic event databases for the acceleration of large-scale event search and update. We thoroughly study the problem of nearest neighbour search using MIL based on upper bound pruning, along with incremental index maintenance. Extensive experiments have been conducted on a large-scale real-life tweet dataset. The results demonstrate the promising performance of our event indexing and monitoring methods on both efficiency and effectiveness.
Editorials and Announcements
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- TKDE celebrates its 25th Anniversary. Editor-in-Chief Jian Pei says, "We are celebrating the 25th Anniversary of TKDE. Since its first issue in March 1989, TKDE has published 2,981 articles, and another 220 articles in the early access portal. With 898 submissions and 79 accepted articles in 2012, TKDE is now the premier journal in the broad and general fields of data management, data mining, and knowledge engineering. We thank all the authors, reviewers, and readers for their continuing support to TKDE. As always, we are eager to hear your ideas and suggestions, and will do our best to meet your expectations. With all your passions, contributions, and supports, TKDE is embracing the new era of big data and big data analytics. Happy birthday to TKDE!"
- Editorial (August 2015)
- State of the Journal Editorial (January 2015)
- Editorial: State of the Transactions (January 2014)
- Editorial (August 2013)
- New EIC Editorial (February 2013)
- Outgoing EIC Editorial (February 2013)
- State of the Journal (February 2012)
- EIC Editorial (January 2011)
- Special Section on the International Conference on Data Engineering (July 2015)
- Special Section on the International Conference on Data Engineering (June 2014)
- Special Section on the 27th International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE 2011)(Oct 2012)
- Special Section on Keyword Search on Structured Data (Dec 2011)
- Cloud Data Management (Sept 2011)
- Special Section on the 26th International Conference on Data Engineering (Aug 2011)
Access recently published TKDE articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TKDE content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.