TCLT Chair Candidate
Dr. Nian-Shing Chen is a long time member of the IEEE Technical Committee on Learning Technology, from the days when it was still a Task Force. He has contributed to the key activities of Technical Committee, including overseeing the management of TC’s flagship conferences (ICALT and DIGITEL) and playing various Chair roles over the years. Based on his extensive involvement and leadership contribution, he was first appointed as the Executive member of the TC, and then was appointed as the Chair for Expert Seminars and Web-based Tutorials of the IEEE Technical Committee on Learning Technology. Since then, Dr. Chen has provided leadership in the growth of almost every aspect of the TC. Dr. Chen aims to both continue the on-going activities of technical committee and to initiate new activities that would foster further advancement of the educational technologies research and development.
Dr. Nian-Shing Chen is the Chair Professor at the Department of Information Management in the National Sun Yat-sen University, Taiwan. He has published over 350 papers in the international referred journals, conferences and book chapters. One of his papers published in Innovations in Education and Teaching International was awarded as the top cited article in 2010. He is the author of three books with one textbook entitled “e-Learning Theory & Practice”. Prof. Chen received the distinguished research awards from the National Science Council, Taiwan in 2008 and 2011-2013. His current research interests include assessing e-Learning course performance; online synchronous teaching & learning; mobile & ubiquitous learning; Natural user interface & Game-based learning. Prof. Chen is serving as an editorial board member for many international journals and guest editors for more than 10 special issues of international journals. He has also organized and chaired numerous international conferences and workshops in the area of advanced learning technologies. Professor Chen is a senior member of IEEE, ACM and the Chair for Expert Seminars and Web-based Tutorials, the IEEE Technical Committee on Learning Technology (http://lttf.ieee.org/). He is a Co-Editors-In-Chief of the SSCI indexed Journal of Educational Technology & Society, an international journal with Impact Factor 1.66 as per the Thomson Scientific 2010 Journal Citations Report.
List of members of editorial boards:
· Computers & Education (SSCI)
· Educational Technology and Society (SSCI)
· Asia Pacific Education Review (SSCI)
· Computers in Human Behavior (SSCI)
· CyberPsychology and Behavior (SSCI)
· Interactive Learning Environments (SSCI)
· Australasia Journal of Educational Technology (SSCI)
· IEEE Transactions on Education (SCI, EI)
· Journal of Distance Education Technologies (EI)
· Journal of Internet Technology (SCI, EI)
· Journal of Information Science and Engineering (SCI Expanded, EI)
· International Journal on Digital Learning Technology
· Campus-Wide Information Systems
· IEEE International Workshop on Mobile, Ubiquitous and Classroom Technologies Enhanced Learning (MUCTEL2008), June 11-13, 2008, Taichung, Taiwan. Pacific Internet Annual Conference, PacINet2007, 14-24, August, Honiara, Solomon Islands.
· IADIS International Conference on WWW/Internet 2005 (ICWI 2005), Lisbon - Portugal, 19-22 October, 2005.
· IADIS Virtual Multi Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems (MCCIS 2005) 21 April, 2005.
· Talk on A Synchronous Learning Model over the Internet, IADIS International Conference on Web Based Communities 2008, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 24-26 July 2008.
· Talk on Blended Synchronous Learning Model for the IMPDET PhD program, University of Joensuu, Finland (Mekrijarvi, Finland March 25-30 2007)