What if I want to use a keyword that is not in the ACM taxonomy? Can I make up one of my own?
We prefer that you use the keywords from the taxonomy provided, but if you do not see a word that closely reflects the topic of your paper, then you may type the appropriate word into the text box. Please keep in mind that using the keywords from the taxonomy is essential to the review process because ScholarOne Manuscripts links them to names of potential reviewers who are associated with that area of expertise, thereby expediting the review process.
Does ScholarOne Manuscripts expedite the peer review process? What is its benefit to me?
By using ScholarOne Manuscripts, we hope to expedite the review process by giving editors and reviewers unrestricted access to their assigned papers. The system provides real-time information and encourages volunteers to take action on pending assignments.
The main benefits to authors are:
- it provides a simple, step-by-step submission process
- it provides access to the status of a paper without having to contact the journal administrator
How can I check the status of my paper?
- After you log in to ScholarOne Manuscripts go to the author center.
- Scroll down to the "Submitted Manuscripts" section.
- Find the gray sub-section, "Processing Status & Transactions Assistant".
The status of a paper is indicated in the "Processing Status" column.
This is brief description of what each of the statuses mean:
- With Editor – The paper has been assigned to an editor who is in the process of finding qualified reviewers to review the paper.
- With Reviewers – The paper has been assigned to reviewers who are given specific deadlines to submit their reviews. A decision is made as soon as the required reviews are submitted.
- Awaiting Editor-in-Chief Decision – The editor's decision has been forwarded to the editor-in-chief who is in the process of approving the decision.
- Decision – A decision has been made on the paper. To access the decision, click on the "view letter" link. Papers that must undergo revision automatically appear in a separate view called "revised manuscripts". To view the decision letter and reviews, you must click the "view comments/respond" button.
How long do I have before a partially submitted manuscript is deleted from ScholarOne Manuscripts?
The system does not automatically remove partially submitted papers from the database. It is your responsibility to either complete the submission process for a particular paper, or click on the trash can icon in order to remove the paper from that view.
Is there a limit to the number of papers that I can submit?
We do not have limit on the number of papers that an author can submit at one time as long as they are not the same paper. We do not accept duplicate submissions. Please do not attempt to submit the same paper into the system more than one time. All duplicate submissions will be immediately rejected.
Can I submit my paper as an email attachment?
No. All papers must be submitted via ScholarOne Manuscripts.
How long does it take for the confirmation email to be sent when I submit a manuscript?
ScholarOne Manuscripts will send an email to you confirming a successful upload immediately after you submit the manuscript. If you do not receive one, please contact the journal coordinator.
If I request/exclude reviewers, will those individuals be used?
The selection of qualified reviewers is left to the discretion of the assigned editor. However, requesting or excluding reviewers can assist the editor by providing them a head start on determining which individuals can serve as potential reviewers.
Can I post a copy of my submitted paper on my personal, or my employer's Web site?
If necessary, you may post a copy of your submitted paper either on your personal site, or on your employer's site as long as your employer allows it. Please find the guidelines for obtaining reuse permission from the Copyright and Intellectual Property Rights Information page.
Is there a limit to how large uploaded files can be? How many files may I upload for my manuscript submission?
Please do not upload files larger than 20 MB. This size limit applies to all file types. There is no limit to the number of files that can be uploaded as long as they do not exceed that limit.
Do you need a copy of any preliminary versions? What if it was just an international workshop or an abstract that was published elsewhere?
Yes. We prefer to have copies of all preliminary versions, including those published in workshops and abstracts published elsewhere.
How do I know this site is secure? Exactly who will have access to my paper?
All peer review volunteers receive a user name and password to access their appropriate user centers. Only the journal administrator, editor-in-chief, assigned associate editor, and specifically assigned reviewers will have access to your paper. Their level of access depends on their role in the review process. The assigned associate editor will have access to your paper's entire manuscript record but the specifically assigned reviewers will only have access to your manuscript and their review.
I noticed that there was a mistake in my submitted paper. Can I submit a corrected or modified version?
As mentioned before, please do not attempt to submit corrected or modified versions of papers already in the system. This produces duplicate submissions, and duplicate submissions are automatically rejected. You are given the opportunity to carefully proof all of your materials before submitting them for review. Therefore, you should contact the journal coordinator only if modifications are crucial and would significantly affect the review process. Otherwise, all corrections can be made when or if the paper undergoes revision.
How can I see the reviewer comment files?
- Log on to your Author Center in ScholarOne Manuscripts
- Under "submitted manuscripts" click "view letter".
- Scroll down to the bottom of the reviews and click on the attached file.