IEEE Computer Society Leadership
John W. Walz
2012 IEEE Computer Society President
John W Walz is a 37-year IEEE member and has served the Computer Society since 1980, most recently as Vice President, Technical & Conference Activities.
A Senior Consultant at Shreya Business Solutions, Walz retired from Lucent Technologies as a Senior Manager, Quality Strategy. During his more than three-decade-long career in information technology, he gained in-depth experience with software development, managing software, and hardware development. Walz also has extensive experience in implementing process improvement techniques such as Baldrige, ISO 9001, TL 9000, and SEI Capability Maturity Model Integrated (CMMI).
An IEEE Senior Member, Walz was appointed to the IEEE-CS Standards Activities Board and served as Secretary and Chair. He was a member of the IEEE-CS Awards Committee and served as the Hans Karlsson Award Chair from 2003-2006. He was Planning Chair and Quality Management Study Group Chair for the IEEE-CS Software and Systems Engineering Standard Committee (S2ESC) in 2004, and is part of the IEEE-CS Distinguished Visitor Program.
Walz is a Golden Core member and recipient of the Distinguished Service and Meritorious Service Award. Previously, he was Local Arrangements Chair for Computer Software Applications Conference (COMPSAC) under Dr. Steven Yau’s leadership.
Other interests are:
- Member of the U.S. TAG to ISO Technical Committee 176 Quality Management
- Chair of Z1 Quality Management ISO 9001 / CMMI Project
- Senior Member of American Society for Quality (ASQ)
- ASQ Electronics and Communications Division
- ASQ Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) Blog Author
- ASQ SOX Discussion Board Moderator
- ASQ SOX Instructor
- ASQ SOX Conference organizer
- Former member of Quality Excellence for Suppliers of Telecommunications (QuEST) Forum, as the Metrics Work Group Secretary and the Metrics Implementation Co-Chair, helping to develop and deploy the TL 9000 worldwide telecommunications quality system requirements and metrics. John acquired international lecturer experience in Paris, London, Berlin, Montreal, Buenos Aires, and New Delhi.
Walz authored the "TL 9000 Quality Management Standard for Telecommunications" chapter of "The ISO 9000 Handbook" (4th edition, McGraw-Hill). He co-authored several books with Susan K. (Kathy) Land, including Practical CMMI Software Process Documentation- Using IEEE Software Engineering Standards from CS Press/Wiley (2005), Practical Support for ISO 9001 Software Project Documentation: Using IEEE Software Engineering Standards (2006), and IEEE Software Engineering Standards Support for ISO 9001: Getting Your Organization Started (2007). He co-authored, with Land and Douglas B. Smith, Practical Support for Lean Six Sigma Software Process Definition Using IEEE Software Engineering Standards (2008).
Walz earned his bachelor's and master's degrees in electrical engineering from Ohio State University. Visitor Program. He has received the IEEE Computer Society Golden Core member and recipient of the Distinguished Service and Meritorious Service Awards. Previously, he was the Local Arrangements Chair for Computer Software Applications Conference (COMPSAC) under Dr. Steven Yau’s leadership.