Managing and Leading Software Projects
by Richard E. (Dick) Fairley
Clearly written and easy to follow, Managing and Leading Software Projects serves as an accessible textbook for advanced undergraduate- and graduate-level software engineering courses, as well as a valuable reference for software developers and software project managers.
* The book is organized around basic principles of software project management: planning and estimating, measuring and controlling, leading and communicating, and managing risk.
* Introduces software development methods, from traditional (hacking, requirements to code, and waterfall) to iterative (incremental build, evolutionary, agile, and spiral).
* Illustrates and emphasizes tailoring the development process to each project, with a foundation in the fundamentals that are true for all development methods.
* Topics such as the WBS, estimation, schedule networks, organizing the project team, and performance reporting are integrated, rather than being relegated to appendices.
* Each chapter in the book includes an appendix that covers the relevant topics from CMMI-DEV-v1.2, IEEE/ISO Standards 12207, IEEE Standard 1058, and the PMI Body of Knowledge.
List Price: $99.95
Lecture handouts for each chapter (in .PDF form):
Chapter 1 handouts
Chapter 2 handouts
Chapter 3 handouts
Chapter 4 handouts
Chapter 5 handouts
Chapter 6 handouts
Chapter 7 handouts
Chapter 8 handouts
Chapter 9 handouts
Chapter 10 handouts
Chapter 11 handouts
Presentation slides for each chapter (in .PDF form):
Guidance for Conducting Student Projects:
(please be sure to download .docx files before opening)
MLSP Overall Project Description
MLSP Project Estimation Spreadsheet
MLSP Project Assignment 1 Description
MLSP Project Assignment 1 Template
MLSP Project Assignment 2 Description
MLSP Project Assignment 2 Template
MLSP Project Assignment 3 Description
MLSP Project Assignment 3 Template
MLSP Project Assignment 4 Description
MLSP Project Assignment 4 Template
MLSP Project Assignment 5 Description
MLSP Project Assignment 5 Template
MLSP Project Assignment 6, 7, 8, and 9 Descriptions
MLSP Project Assignment 6 Template
MLSP Project Assignment 7 Template
MLSP Project Assignment 8 Template
MLSP Project Assignment 9 Template
Additional Supporting Material: