From the May 2014 issue
GraphDiaries: Animated Transitions andTemporal Navigation for Dynamic Networks
By Benjamin Bach, Jean-Daniel Fekete, Emmanuel Pietriga
Identifying, tracking and understanding changes in dynamic networks are complex and cognitively demanding tasks. We present GraphDiaries, a visual interface designed to improve support for these tasks in any node-link based graph visualization system. GraphDiaries relies on animated transitions that highlight changes in the network between time steps, thus helping users identify and understand those changes. To better understand the tasks related to the exploration of dynamic networks, we first introduce a task taxonomy, that informs the design of GraphDiaries, presented afterwards. We then report on a user study, based on representative tasks identified through the taxonomy, and that compares GraphDiaries to existing techniques for temporal navigation in dynamic networks, showing that it outperforms them in terms of both task time and errors for several of these tasks.
Editorials and Announcements
- TVCG celebrates its 20th Anniversary. Editor-in-Chief Ming Lin says, "Celebrating 20 years of success in publishing as the world's leading journal in visualization and computer graphics, TVCG has continued to present many of the most impactful research results and state-of-the-art seminal papers, enabling rapid dissemination of important work and contributing to the growth of the field. Congratulations!"
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- TVCG Partners With Conferences
- Print on Demand is Now Available for OnlinePlus Titles
- eBooks of issues of TVCG can now be downloaded from the Computer Society Digital Library
- Guest Editor's Introduction: Special Section on the ACM SIGGRAPH/Eurographics Symposium on Computer Animation (SCA)
- Special Section on the Eurographics Symposium on Parallel Graphics and Visualization (EGPGV)
Access recently published TVCG articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TVCG content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
TVCG is indexed in MEDLINE®/PubMed® & ISI