IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics
IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (TVCG) is a monthly journal that publishes research on subjects related to computer graphics and visualization techniques, systems, software, hardware, and user interface issues. Read the full scope of TVCG.
From the April 2015 issue
Extended Depth-of-Field Projector by Fast Focal Sweep Projection
By Daisuke Iwai, Shoichiro Mihara, and Kosuke Sato
A simple and cost-efficient method for extending a projector's depth-of-field (DOF) is proposed. By leveraging liquid lens technology, we can periodically modulate the focal length of a projector at a frequency that is higher than the critical flicker fusion (CFF) frequency. Fast periodic focal length modulation results in forward and backward sweeping of focusing distance. Fast focal sweep projection makes the point spread function (PSF) of each projected pixel integrated over a sweep period (IPSF; integrated PSF) nearly invariant to the distance from the projector to the projection surface as long as it is positioned within sweep range. This modulation is not perceivable by human observers. Once we compensate projection images for the IPSF, the projected results can be focused at any point within the range. Consequently, the proposed method requires only a single offline PSF measurement; thus, it is an open-loop process. We have proved the approximate invariance of the projector's IPSF both numerically and experimentally. Through experiments using a prototype system, we have confirmed that the image quality of the proposed method is superior to that of normal projection with fixed focal length. In addition, we demonstrate that a structured light pattern projection technique using the proposed method can measure the shape of an object with large depth variances more accurately than normal projection techniques.
Editorials and Announcements
- Dr. Leila De Floriani Announced as New Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics
- TVCG celebrates its 20th Anniversary. Editor-in-Chief Ming Lin says, "Celebrating 20 years of success in publishing as the world's leading journal in visualization and computer graphics, TVCG has continued to present many of the most impactful research results and state-of-the-art seminal papers, enabling rapid dissemination of important work and contributing to the growth of the field. Congratulations!"
- TVCG Partners With Conferences
- Print on Demand is Now Available for OnlinePlus Titles
- Message from the Editor-in-Chief (April 2015)
- Editor's Note (February 2015)
- A Message from the New Editor-In-Chief (January 2015)
- EIC Farewell and New EIC Introduction (January 2015)
- Editor's Note (August 2014)
- State of the Journal (January 2014)
- Message fron the Editor-in-Chief (December 2013)
- Message from the Program Chairs and Guest Editors (April 2015)
- Special Section on the ACM SIGGRAPH/Eurographics Symposium on Computer Animation (SCA) (October 2014)
- Special Section on the IEEE Pacific Visualization Symposium (August 2014)
- Special Issue on the ACM SIGGRAPH Symposium on Interactive 3D Graphics and Games 2013 (July 2014)
- Special Section on the International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality 2012 (June 2014)
- Special Section on the ACM SIGGRAPH/Eurographics Symposium on Computer Animation (SCA) (January 2014)
- Special Section on the Eurographics Symposium on Parallel Graphics and Visualization (EGPGV) (June 2012)
Access recently published TVCG articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TVCG content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
TVCG is indexed in MEDLINE®/PubMed® & ISI