From the November 2014 issue
Filling Your Shelves: Synthesizing Diverse Style-Preserving Artifact Arrangements
By Lucas Majerowicz, Ariel Shamir, Alla Sheffer, and Holger H. Hoos
Our homes and workspaces are filled with collections of dozens of artifacts laid out on surfaces such as shelves, counters, and mantles. The content and layout of these arrangements reflect both context, e.g., kitchen or living room, and style, e.g., neat or messy. Manually assembling such arrangements in virtual scenes is highly time consuming, especially when one needs to generate multiple diverse arrangements for numerous support surfaces and living spaces. We present a data-driven method especially designed for artifact arrangement which automatically populates empty surfaces with diverse believable arrangements of artifacts in a given style. The input to our method is an annotated photograph or a 3D model of an exemplar arrangement, that reflects the desired context and style. Our method leverages this exemplar to generate diverse arrangements reflecting the exemplar style for arbitrary furniture setups and layout dimensions. To simultaneously achieve scalability, diversity and style preservation, we define a valid solution space of arrangements that reflect the input style. We obtain solutions within this space using barrier functions and stochastic optimization.
Editorials and Announcements
- Dr. Leila De Floriani Announced as New Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics
- TVCG celebrates its 20th Anniversary. Editor-in-Chief Ming Lin says, "Celebrating 20 years of success in publishing as the world's leading journal in visualization and computer graphics, TVCG has continued to present many of the most impactful research results and state-of-the-art seminal papers, enabling rapid dissemination of important work and contributing to the growth of the field. Congratulations!"
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- TVCG Partners With Conferences
- Print on Demand is Now Available for OnlinePlus Titles
- eBooks of issues of TVCG can now be downloaded from the Computer Society Digital Library
- Editor's Note (August 2014)
- State of the Journal (January 2014)
- Message fron the Editor-in-Chief (December 2013)
- Special Section on the ACM SIGGRAPH/Eurographics Symposium on Computer Animation (SCA) (October 2014)
- Special Section on the IEEE Pacific Visualization Symposium (August 2014)
- Special Issue on the ACM SIGGRAPH Symposium on Interactive 3D Graphics and Games 2013 (July 2014)
- Special Section on the International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality 2012 (June 2014)
- Special Section on the ACM SIGGRAPH/Eurographics Symposium on Computer Animation (SCA) (January 2014)
- Special Section on the Eurographics Symposium on Parallel Graphics and Visualization (EGPGV) (June 2012)
Access recently published TVCG articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TVCG content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
TVCG is indexed in MEDLINE®/PubMed® & ISI