IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics
IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (TVCG) is a monthly journal that publishes research on subjects related to computer graphics and visualization techniques, systems, software, hardware, and user interface issues. Read the full scope of TVCG.
From the August 2015 issue
Semantic Enrichment of Movement Behavior with Foursquare–A Visual Analytics Approach
By Robert Krueger, Dennis Thom, and Thomas Ertl
In recent years, many approaches have been developed that efficiently and effectively visualize movement data, e.g., by providing suitable aggregation strategies to reduce visual clutter. Analysts can use them to identify distinct movement patterns, such as trajectories with similar direction, form, length, and speed. However, less effort has been spent on finding the semantics behind movements, i.e. why somebody or something is moving. This can be of great value for different applications, such as product usage and consumer analysis, to better understand urban dynamics, and to improve situational awareness. Unfortunately, semantic information often gets lost when data is recorded. Thus, we suggest to enrich trajectory data with POI information using social media services and show how semantic insights can be gained. Furthermore, we show how to handle semantic uncertainties in time and space, which result from noisy, unprecise, and missing data, by introducing a POI decision model in combination with highly interactive visualizations. Finally, we evaluate our approach with two case studies on a large electric scooter data set and test our model on data with known ground truth.
Editorials and Announcements
- IEEE TVCG Invited Sessions at SIGGRAPH 2015 in Los Angeles on Sunday August 9, 2015
- Dr. Leila De Floriani Announced as New Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics
- TVCG celebrates its 20th Anniversary. Editor-in-Chief Ming Lin says, "Celebrating 20 years of success in publishing as the world's leading journal in visualization and computer graphics, TVCG has continued to present many of the most impactful research results and state-of-the-art seminal papers, enabling rapid dissemination of important work and contributing to the growth of the field. Congratulations!"
- TVCG Partners With Conferences
- Editor's Note (May 2015)
- Message from the Editor-in-Chief (April 2015)
- Editor's Note (February 2015)
- A Message from the New Editor-In-Chief (January 2015)
- EIC Farewell and New EIC Introduction (January 2015)
- Editor's Note (August 2014)
- State of the Journal (January 2014)
- Message fron the Editor-in-Chief (December 2013)
- Special Section on the IEEE Pacific Visualization Symposium 2014 (August 2015)
- I3D 2014 Guest Editor's Introduction (June 2015)
- Special Section on the International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality 2013 (April 2015)
- Message from the Program Chairs and Guest Editors (April 2015)
- Special Section on the ACM SIGGRAPH/Eurographics Symposium on Computer Animation (SCA) (October 2014)
- Special Section on the IEEE Pacific Visualization Symposium (August 2014)
- Special Issue on the ACM SIGGRAPH Symposium on Interactive 3D Graphics and Games 2013 (July 2014)
- Special Section on the International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality 2012 (June 2014)
- Special Section on the ACM SIGGRAPH/Eurographics Symposium on Computer Animation (SCA) (January 2014)
- Special Section on the Eurographics Symposium on Parallel Graphics and Visualization (EGPGV) (June 2012)
Access recently published TVCG articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TVCG content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
TVCG is indexed in MEDLINE®/PubMed® & ISI