From the August 2014 issue
Dynamic Network Visualization with Extended Massive Sequence Views
By Stef van den Elzen, Danny Holten, Jorik Blaas, and Jarke J. van Wijk
Networks are present in many fields such as finance, sociology, and transportation. Often these networks are dynamic: they have a structural as well as a temporal aspect. In addition to relations occurring over time, node information is frequently present such as hierarchical structure or time-series data. We present a technique that extends the Massive Sequence View ( msv) for the analysis of temporal and structural aspects of dynamic networks. Using features in the data as well as Gestalt principles in the visualization such as closure, proximity, and similarity, we developed node reordering strategies for the msv to make these features stand out that optionally take the hierarchical node structure into account. This enables users to find temporal properties such as trends, counter trends, periodicity, temporal shifts, and anomalies in the network as well as structural properties such as communities and stars. We introduce the circular msv that further reduces visual clutter. In addition, the (circular) msv is extended to also convey time-series data associated with the nodes. This enables users to analyze complex correlations between edge occurrence and node attribute changes. We show the effectiveness of the reordering methods on both synthetic and a rich real-world dynamic network data set.
Editorials and Announcements
- Dr. Leila De Floriani Announced as New Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics
- TVCG celebrates its 20th Anniversary. Editor-in-Chief Ming Lin says, "Celebrating 20 years of success in publishing as the world's leading journal in visualization and computer graphics, TVCG has continued to present many of the most impactful research results and state-of-the-art seminal papers, enabling rapid dissemination of important work and contributing to the growth of the field. Congratulations!"
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- TVCG Partners With Conferences
- Print on Demand is Now Available for OnlinePlus Titles
- eBooks of issues of TVCG can now be downloaded from the Computer Society Digital Library
- Editor's Note (August 2014)
- State of the Journal (January 2014)
- Message fron the Editor-in-Chief (December 2013)
- Special Section on the IEEE Pacific Visualization Symposium (August 2014)
- Special Issue on the ACM SIGGRAPH Symposium on Interactive 3D Graphics and Games 2013 (July 2014)
- Special Section on the International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality 2012 (June 2014)
- Special Section on the ACM SIGGRAPH/Eurographics Symposium on Computer Animation (SCA) (January 2014)
- Special Section on the Eurographics Symposium on Parallel Graphics and Visualization (EGPGV) (June 2012)
Access recently published TVCG articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TVCG content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
TVCG is indexed in MEDLINE®/PubMed® & ISI