From the July 2013 issue
A Metric for the Evaluation of Dense Vector Field Visualizations
By Victor Matvienko & Jens Krüger
In this work, we present an intuitive image-quality metric that is derived from the motivation of DVF visualization. It utilizes the features of the resulting image and effectively measures the similarity between the output of the visualization method and the input flow data. We use the angle between the gradient direction and the original vector field as a measure of such similarity and the gradient magnitude as an importance measure. Our metric enables the automatic evaluation of images for a given vector field and allows the comparison of different methods, parameters sets, and quality improvement strategies for a specific vector field. By integrating the metric into the image-computation process, our approach can be used to generate improved images by choosing the best parameter set.
Editorials and Announcements
- TVCG Partners With Conferences
- Print on Demand is Now Available for OnlinePlus Titles
- eBooks of issues of TVCG can now be downloaded from the Computer Society Digital Library
- Special Section on the IEEE Virtual Reality Conference (VR)
- Special Section on the Eurographics Symposium on Parallel Graphics and Visualization (EGPGV)
- Special Section on the IEEE Pacific Visualization Symposium (November 2011)
- Special Section on the IEEE International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality (October 2011)
- Special Section on the Symposium on Interactive 3D Graphics and Games (I3D) (August 2011)
Access recently published TVCG articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TVCG content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
TVCG is indexed in MEDLINE®/PubMed® & ISI