From the March 2014 issue
A Task Taxonomy for Network Evolution Analysis
By Jae-wook Ahn, Catherine Plaisant, and Ben Shneiderman
Visualization has proven to be a useful tool for understanding network structures. Yet the dynamic nature of social media networks requires powerful visualization techniques that go beyond static network diagrams. To provide strong temporal network visualization tools, designers need to understand what tasks the users have to accomplish. This paper describes a taxonomy of temporal network visualization tasks. We identify the 1) entities, 2) properties, and 3) temporal features, which were extracted by surveying 53 existing temporal network visualization systems. By building and examining the task taxonomy, we report which tasks are well covered by existing systems and make suggestions for designing future visualization tools. The feedback from 12 network analysts helped refine the taxonomy.
Editorials and Announcements
- TVCG celebrates its 20th Anniversary. Editor-in-Chief Ming Lin says, "Celebrating 20 years of success in publishing as the world's leading journal in visualization and computer graphics, TVCG has continued to present many of the most impactful research results and state-of-the-art seminal papers, enabling rapid dissemination of important work and contributing to the growth of the field. Congratulations!"
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- TVCG Partners With Conferences
- Print on Demand is Now Available for OnlinePlus Titles
- eBooks of issues of TVCG can now be downloaded from the Computer Society Digital Library
- Guest Editor's Introduction: Special Section on the ACM SIGGRAPH/Eurographics Symposium on Computer Animation (SCA)
- Special Section on the Eurographics Symposium on Parallel Graphics and Visualization (EGPGV)
Access recently published TVCG articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TVCG content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
TVCG is indexed in MEDLINE®/PubMed® & ISI