Transactions on Software Engineering
The IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (TSE) is an archival journal published bimonthly. We are interested in well-defined theoretical results and empirical studies that have potential impact on the construction, analysis, or management of software. Read the full scope of TSE
IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (TSE) has moved to the OnlinePlus publication model starting with 2013 issues!
From the January 2015 Issue
Investigating Country Differences in Mobile App User Behavior and Challenges for Software Engineering
By Soo Ling Lim, Peter J. Bentley, Natalie Kanakam, Fuyuki Ishikawa, and Shinichi Honiden
Mobile applications (apps) are software developed for use on mobile devices and made available through app stores. App stores are highly competitive markets where developers need to cater to a large number of users spanning multiple countries. This work hypothesizes that there exist country differences in mobile app user behavior and conducts one of the largest surveys to date of app users across the world, in order to identify the precise nature of those differences. The survey investigated user adoption of the app store concept, app needs, and rationale for selecting or abandoning an app. We collected data from more than 15 countries, including USA, China, Japan, Germany, France, Brazil, United Kingdom, Italy, Russia, India, Canada, Spain, Australia, Mexico, and South Korea. Analysis of data provided by 4,824 participants showed significant differences in app user behaviors across countries, for example users from USA are more likely to download medical apps, users from the United Kingdom and Canada are more likely to be influenced by price, users from Japan and Australia are less likely to rate apps. Analysis of the results revealed new challenges to market-driven software engineering related to packaging requirements, feature space, quality expectations, app store dependency, price sensitivity, and ecosystem effect.
Editorials and Announcements
- EICs Undergoing Reappointment for 2016-2017 Terms: IEEE Computer Society publications have editors in chief who are currently standing for reappointment to a second two-year term. The Publications Board invites comments upon the tenures of the individual editors. Please click here for more details.
- According to Thomson Reuters' 2013 Journal Citation Report, TSE has an impact factor of 2.292.
- TSE celebrates its 40th Anniversary
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- State of the Journal Editorial (Jan 2015)
- In Memoriam: Mary Jean Harrold (1947-2013) (Nov 2013)
- Editorial (Sept 2013)
- In Memoriam—David Notkin (1953-2013) (June 2013)
- Editorial (May 2013)
- E-ditorial: State of the Journal (Feb 2013)
- State of the Journal (Jan/Feb 2012)
- Editorial: What Makes a Publication Archival? (March/April 2011)
- Editorial: State of the Journal (Jan/Feb 2011)
- Editorial (Nov/Dec 2010)
- How Special Should Issues Be? (Jul/Aug 2010)
- Special Section on the International Symposium on Software Testing and Analysis (March/April 2012)
- Special Section on the International Conference on Software Engineering (Jan/Feb 2012)
- Special Section on Socio-Technical Environment of Software Development Projects (May/June 2011)
- Search Based Software Engineering: Introduction to the Special Issue of the IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (Nov/Dec 2010)
- 2008 Conference on the Foundations of Software Engineering (Sept/Oct 2010)
- The Best Papers of ISSTA (Jul/Aug 2010)
Access All Recently Published TSE Articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TSE content added to the digital library
Sign up to receive email alerts when a new issue of TSE is online.