IEEE Transactions on Services Computing
IEEE Transactions on Services Computing (TSC) is a journal that focuses on research on the algorithmic, mathematical, statistical and computational methods that are central in services computing; the emerging field of Service Oriented Architecture, Web Services, Business Process Integration, Solution Performance Management, Services Operations and Management. Read more about TSC
From the January/February 2015 issue
Decentralized Plan-Free Semantic-Based Service Composition in Mobile Networks
By Yousif Al Ridhawi and Ahmed Karmouch
The inefficiency of one-to-one matching of user requirements to a single service has given rise to service composition. Service composition allows simple services to be dynamically combined into more complex services. In mobile environments, service discovery and integration involves cooperation between various service nodes where reliance on a centralized service registry introduces efficiency and single point of failure problems. Plan- and workflow-based composition solutions restrict service discovery to defined abstract models. Semantic similarity measurements play an important role in service integration. In this paper we introduce a semantic similarity and semantic nearness service composition method. The objective of our work is to free service nodes from adherence to restrictive composition plans. Our work also enables compositions to succeed in dynamic environments through a decentralized solution even when nodes are unaware of nearby service nodes. This paper presents a service composition solution that semantically advances composition paths towards users’ needs with each service hop while guaranteeing a user-acceptable QoS level. Simulation results showcase the effectiveness of the presented solution and its compatibility with underlying service discovery methods.
Editorials and Announcements
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- Congrats to TSC's Editor-in-Chief, Ling Liu, on winning the 2012 IEEE Computer Society Technical Achievement Award!
- TSC celebrates its 5th anniversary
- Editorial: Service Computing in 2015 (Jan-Feb 2015)
- Editorial: Service Computing in the Next Seven Years (Oct-Dec 2014)
- Editorial: A Message from the Editor-in-Chief (Apr-June 2013)
- Introduction of new Associate Editors (Jan-Mar 2013)
- Editorial: A message from the new Editor-in-Chief (Jan-Mar 2013)
- Editorial: Farewell and Introduction to the New Editor-in-Chief (Jan-Mar 2013)
- Editorial: Moving to the Fifth Year of TSC (Jan-Mar 2012)
- Guest Editorial: Special Issue on Clouds for Social Computing (July-Sept 2014)
- Guest Editorial: Special Section on Social and Economic Computing (Apr-June 2013)
- Guest Editorial: Special Issue on Cloud Computing (Oct-Dec 2012)
- Guest Editorial: Special Section on Enforcement and Management in Services Computing (Apr-Jun 2012)
Call for Papers
- Special Issue on In Search of a New Alignment in Service Research (PDF)
Submission Deadline: March 1, 2015.
- Special Issue on Security and Dependability of Cloud Systems and Services (PDF)
Submission Deadline: May 31, 2015.
- Special Issue on Service-Oriented Collaborative Computing and Applications (PDF)
Submission Deadline: June 15, 2015.
- Special Issue on Software Engineering and Applications for Cloud-based Mobile Systems (PDF)
Submission Deadline: November 1, 2015.
Access Recently Published TSC Articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TSC content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection Newsletter.