IEEE Transactions on Services Computing
IEEE Transactions on Services Computing (TSC) is a journal that focuses on research on the algorithmic, mathematical, statistical and computational methods that are central in services computing; the emerging field of Service Oriented Architecture, Web Services, Business Process Integration, Solution Performance Management, Services Operations and Management. Read more about TSC
From the May/June 2015 issue
Service Selection with Runtime Aspects: A Hierarchical Approach
By Rene Ramacher and Lars Mönch
The composition of services is used to implement complex functionality. The quality of service (QoS) is a demanding issue for the management of service compositions. A QoS-aware service selection recommends the services to be composed to account for the quality of a service composition and its execution cost incurred by requests. It is shown that in the presence of sophisticated service charging a cost minimization objective imposes the need for a request- and service composition-comprehensive service selection.This type of selection is called a tactical service selection. Existing tactical service selection models assume a deterministic executionenvironment. The need to adjust a service composition during the execution of a request to react on uncertain QoS attributes and service failures is neglected. Service reconfiguration approaches are proposed to deal with service failures, uncertain QoS attributes, and their impact on QoS restrictions. The challenge addressed in this paper is to propose a hierarchical service selection that integrates a tactical service selection with a service reconfiguration to satisfy the cost minimization objective and to maintain a successful execution of requests. It is shown that the tactical service selection can be efficiently combined with an existing service reconfiguration method to achieve both runtime-related goals and tactical objectives.
Editorials and Announcements
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- Congrats to TSC's Editor-in-Chief, Ling Liu, on winning the 2012 IEEE Computer Society Technical Achievement Award!
- TSC celebrates its 5th anniversary
- Emerging Web Services (May-June 2015)
- Editorial: Service Computing in 2015 (Jan-Feb 2015)
- Editorial: Service Computing in the Next Seven Years (Oct-Dec 2014)
- Editorial: A Message from the Editor-in-Chief (Apr-June 2013)
- Introduction of new Associate Editors (Jan-Mar 2013)
- Editorial: A message from the new Editor-in-Chief (Jan-Mar 2013)
- Editorial: Farewell and Introduction to the New Editor-in-Chief (Jan-Mar 2013)
- Editorial: Moving to the Fifth Year of TSC (Jan-Mar 2012)
- Guest Editorial: Recommendation Techniques for Services Computing and Cloud Computing (May-June 2015)
- Guest Editorial: Special Issue on Clouds for Social Computing (July-Sept 2014)
- Guest Editorial: Special Section on Social and Economic Computing (Apr-June 2013)
- Guest Editorial: Special Issue on Cloud Computing (Oct-Dec 2012)
- Guest Editorial: Special Section on Enforcement and Management in Services Computing (Apr-Jun 2012)
Call for Papers
- Special Issue on Services and Software Engineering towards Internetware (PDF)
Submission Deadline: October 1, 2015.
- Special Issue on Software Engineering and Applications for Cloud-based Mobile Systems (PDF)
Submission Deadline: November 1, 2015.
- Special Issue on Mobile Big Data Management and Innovative Applications (PDF)
Submission Deadline: December 31, 2015.
Access Recently Published TSC Articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TSC content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection Newsletter.