IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems
IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (TPDS) is a scholarly archival journal published monthly. Parallelism and distributed computing are foundational research and technology to rapidly advance computer systems and their applications. Read the full scope of TPDS
IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (TPDS) has moved to the OnlinePlus publication model.
From the June 2015 Issue
A Parallel File System with Application-Aware Data Layout Policies for Massive Remote Sensing Image Processing in Digital Earth
By Lizhe Wang, Yan Ma, Albert Y. Zomaya, Rajiv Ranjan, and Dan Chen
Remote sensing applications in Digital Earth are overwhelmed with vast quantities of remote sensing (RS) image data. The intolerable I/O burden introduced by the massive amounts of RS data and the irregular RS data access patterns has made the traditional cluster based parallel I/O systems no longer applicable. We propose a RS data object-based parallel file system for remote sensing applications and implement it with the OrangeFS file system. It provides application-aware data layout policies, together with RS data object based data I/O interfaces, for efficient support of various data access patterns of RS applications from the server side. With the prior knowledge of the desired RS data access patterns, HPGFS could offer relevant space-filling curves to organize the sliced 3-D data bricks and distribute them over I/O servers. In this way, data layouts consistent with expected data access patterns could be created to explore data locality and achieve performance improvement. Moreover, the multi-band RS data with complex structured geographical metadata could be accessed and managed as a single data object. Through experiments on remote sensing applications with different access patterns, we have achieved performance improvement of about 30 percent for I/O and 20 percent overall.
Editorials and Announcements
- According to Thomson Reuters' 2013 Journal Citation Report, TPDS has an impact factor of 2.173.
- TPDS celebrates its 25th Anniversary. Editor-in-Chief David A. Bader says, "Congratulations to TPDS on its Silver Jubilee! For 25 years, TPDS has been the parallel and distributed computing community's flagship journal for research breakthroughs!"
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- Editor's Note (Jan 2015)
- State of the Journal (Jan 2014)
- Editor's Note: EIC Farewell and New EIC Introduction (Dec 2013)
- Editor's Note (Nov 2013)
- Editor's Note (Jan 2013)
- Editor's Note (April 2012)
- Editor's Note (January 2012)
- Editorial: Media Center (November 2011)
- Editor's Note: How to Write Research Articles in Computing and Engineering Disciplines by Ivan Stojmenovic
- Full Supplemental PDF of Editor's Note: How to Write Research Articles in Computing and Engineering Disciplines by Ivan Stojmenovic and Veljko Milutinovic (PDF)
- Special Issue on Trust, Security, and Privacy in Parallel and Distributed Systems (Feb 2014)
- Special Issue on Cloud Computing (June 2013)
- Special Issue on Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS) (Sept 2012)
- Special Section on Many-Task Computing (June 2011)
Access recently published TPDS articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TPDS content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
Listen to the OnlinePlus Podcast: Computer Society Publishing—two more titles migrate to OnlinePlus™ in 2012.
In this podcast, VP of Publications, David Alan Grier talks about Transactions on Mobile Computing and Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems migrating to OnlinePlus™.
TPDS is indexed in ISI