From the September 2014 issue
Bayesian Estimation of the von-Mises Fisher Mixture Model with Variational Inference
By Jalil Taghia, Zhanyu Ma, and Arne Leijon
This paper addresses the Bayesian estimation of the von-Mises Fisher (vMF) mixture model with variational inference (VI). The learning task in VI consists of optimization of the variational posterior distribution. However, the exact solution by VI does not lead to an analytically tractable solution due to the evaluation of intractable moments involving functional forms of the Bessel function in their arguments. To derive a closed-form solution, we further lower bound the evidence lower bound where the bound is tight at one point in the parameter distribution. While having the value of the bound guaranteed to increase during maximization, we derive an analytically tractable approximation to the posterior distribution which has the same functional form as the assigned prior distribution. The proposed algorithm requires no iterative numerical calculation in the re-estimation procedure, and it can potentially determine the model complexity and avoid the over-fitting problem associated with conventional approaches based on the expectation maximization. Moreover, we derive an analytically tractable approximation to the predictive density of the Bayesian mixture model of vMF distributions. The performance of the proposed approach is verified by experiments with both synthetic and real data.
Editorials and Announcements
- According to Thomson Reuters' 2013 Journal Citation Report, TPAMI has an impact factor of 5.694.
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- We are pleased to announce that David Forsyth, a professor at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, is the new Editor in Chief of IEEE Transactions on Pattern and Machine Intelligence starting in 2013. He was previously a member of the advisory board of TPAMI.
- Print on Demand is Now Available for OnlinePlus Titles
- eBooks of issues of TPAMI can now be downloaded from the Computer Society Digital Library
- TPAMI Essential Set now available
- Editor's Note (June 2013)
- Farewall State of the Journal (Jan 2013)
- Editor's Note (Jan 2013)
- Editor's Note (May 2012)
- Editor's Note (February 2012)
- State of the Journal (January 2012)
- TPAMI CVPR Special Section (Dec 2013)
- Special Section on Learning Deep Architectures (Aug 2013)
- In Memoriam: Mark Everingham (Nov 2012)
- Introduction to the Special Section on IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (September 2012)
Call for Papers
- Special Issue on Multimodal Human Pose Recovery and Behavior Analysis (PDF)
Submission deadline: December 1, 2014.
Access recently published TPAMI articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TPAMI content added to the digital library
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (TPAMI) is a scholarly archival journal published monthly. This journal covers traditional areas of computer vision and image understanding, all traditional areas of pattern analysis and recognition, and selected areas of machine intelligence.
Read the full scope of TPAMI