From the July 2014 issue
Joint Optimization of User-Experience and Energy-Efficiency in Wireless Multimedia Broadcast
By Chetna Singhal, Swades De, Ramona Trestian, and Gabriel-Miro Muntean
This paper presents a novel cross-layer optimization framework to improve the quality of user experience (QoE) and energy efficiency of the heterogeneous wireless multimedia broadcast receivers. This joint optimization is achieved by grouping the users based on their device capabilities and estimated channel conditions experienced by them and broadcasting adaptive content to these groups. The adaptive multimedia content is obtained by using scalable video coding (SVC) with optimal source encoding parameters resulted from an innovative cooperative game. Energy saving at user terminals results from using a layer-aware time slicing approach in the transmission stage. A trade-off between energy saving and QoE is observed, and is incorporated in the definition of a utility function of the players in the formulated heterogeneous user composition and physical channel aware game. An adaptive modulation and coding scheme is also optimally incorporated in order to maximize the reception quality of the broadcast receivers, while maximizing the network broadcast capacity. Compared to the conventional broadcast schemes, the proposed framework shows an appreciable improvement in QoE levels for all users, while achieving higher energy-savings for the energy constrained users.
Editorials and Announcements
- According to Thomson Reuters' 2013 Journal Citation Report, TMC has an impact factor of 2.912.
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- We are pleased to announce that Prasant Mohapatra, the Tim Bucher Family Endowed Chair in the Computer Science Department at the University of California, Davis, has been named the new Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing starting in 2014.
- Print on Demand is Now Available for OnlinePlus Titles
- eBooks of issues of TMC can now be downloaded from the Computer Society Digital Library
- EIC Editorial (July 2014)
- A Message from the Outgoing Editor-in-Chief and Associate Editor-in-Chief (Jan. 2014)
- Editorial: Reviewer Appreciation Program (Aug. 2013)
- Editorial and Changes to the Editorial Board (Jan. 2012)
Access recently published TMC articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TMC content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
Listen to the OnlinePlus podcast: Computer Society Publishing—two more titles migrate to OnlinePlus™ in 2012.
In this podcast, VP of Publications, David Alan Grier talks about Transactions on Mobile Computing and Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems migrating to OnlinePlus™.
TMC is a joint publication of the:
TMC is published in cooperation with: IEEE Electromagnetic Compatibility Society, IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, IEEE Technology Management Council, IEEE Information Theory Society, IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Society, IEEE Power & Energy Society, IEEE Robotics and Automation Society, and IEEE Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Society
TMC is indexed in ISI
IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing (TMC) is a scholarly archival journal published monthly that focuses on the key technical issues related to Mobile Computing. It is the intent of TMC to publish mature works of research, typically those that have appeared in part in conferences.
Furthermore, it is the intent ofTMC to focus on issues at the link-layer and above in wireless communications, and to focus only on topics explicitly or plausibly related to mobile systems.
Read the full scope of TMC