IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies
IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies (TLT) is an archival journal published quarterly using a delayed open access publication model. TLT covers research on such topics as Innovative online learning systems, Intelligent tutors, Educational software applications and games, and Simulation systems for education and training.
From the April-June 2015 issue
Measuring and Visualizing Students’ Behavioral Engagement in Writing Activities
By Ming Liu, Rafael A. Calvo, Abelardo Pardo, and Andrew Martin
Engagement is critical to the success of learning activities such as writing, and can be promoted with appropriate feedback. Current engagement measures rely mostly on data collected by observers or self-reported by the participants. In this paper, we describe a learning analytic system called Tracer, which derives behavioral engagement measures and creates visualizations of behavioral patterns of students writing on a cloud-based application. The tool records the intermediate stages of document development and uses this data to measure learners’ behavioral engagement and derive three visualizations. Writers ($N = 23$ University students) participated in a controlled one-hour writing session in which they post-facto self-reported their level of behavioral engagement. Results show that the level of behavioral engagement automatically estimated by the system correlates with the level reported by the participants. Additionally, users stated that the visualizations were coherent with their writing activity and were useful to help them reflect on the writing process.
Editorials and Announcements
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- Open access is now available for the April-June 2014 issue and for all 2008-2013 issues of TLT
- Welcome to the April-June 2015 Issue of the IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies (TLT) (April-June 2015)
- Editorial: A Message from the Editorial Team and an Introduction to the January-March 2015 Issue (Jan-Mar 2015)
- Editorial (Oct-Dec 2014)
- Editorial: A Message from the Editorial Team and an Introduction to the July-September 2014 Issue
- Editorial: A Message from the Editorial Team and an Introduction to the April-June 2014 Issue
- Editorial: A Message from the Editorial Team and an Introduction to the January-March 2014 Issue
- Editorial (Oct-Dec 2013)
- Editorial: A Message from the Editorial Team and an Introduction to the July-September 2013 Issue
- EIC Editorial and Introduction of New Associate Editors (April-June 2013)
- Editorial: A Message from the Editorial Team and an Introduction to the January-March 2013 Issue
- EIC Team Farewell and New EIC Team Introduction (Jan-March 2013)
- Special Issue on Seamless, Ubiquitous, and Contextual Learning (Jan-Mar 2015)
- Special Section on Social Computing and Social Knowledge for e-Learning (July-Sept 2014)
- Special Section on Learning Systems for Science and Technology Education (July-Sept 2013)
- Special Section on Semantic Technologies for Learning and Teaching Support in Higher Education (April-June 2012)
- Special Issue on Intelligent and Innovative Support Systems for CSCL (Jan-Mar 2011)
Call for Papers
- Special Issue on Wearable Technologies and the Internet of Things in Education and Training (PDF)
Deadline for Extended Abstracts: June 22, 2015
Deadline for Full Manuscript Submission (by invitation only, based on extended abstracts): September 28, 2015
- Special Issue on Learning Analytics (PDF)
Submission Deadline: February 1, 2016
- Ongoing call for papers for TLT
Access recently published TLT articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TLT content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies is a joint publication of the IEEE Computer Society and the IEEE Education Society
IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies is Indexed in ISI.