IEEE Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics
IEEE/ACM Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics (TCBB) is a bimonthly journal that publishes archival research results related to the algorithmic, mathematical, statistical, and computational methods that are central in bioinformatics and computational biology. Read the full scope of TCBB
IEEE Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics (TCBB) will move to the OnlinePlus publication model starting with 2015 issues!
From the January/February 2015 Issue
Heterogeneous Cloud Framework for Big Data Genome Sequencing
By Chao Wang, Xi Li, Peng Chen, Aili Wang, Xuehai Zhou, and Hong Yu
The next generation genome sequencing problem with short (long) reads is an emerging field in numerous scientific and big data research domains. However, data sizes and ease of access for scientific researchers are growing and most current methodologies rely on one acceleration approach and so cannot meet the requirements imposed by explosive data scales and complexities. In this paper, we propose a novel FPGA-based acceleration solution with MapReduce framework on multiple hardware accelerators. The combination of hardware acceleration and MapReduce execution flow could greatly accelerate the task of aligning short length reads to a known reference genome. To evaluate the performance and other metrics, we conducted a theoretical speedup analysis on a MapReduce programming platform, which demonstrates that our proposed architecture have efficient potential to improve the speedup for large scale genome sequencing applications. Also, as a practical study, we have built a hardware prototype on the real Xilinx FPGA chip. Significant metrics on speedup, sensitivity, mapping quality, error rate, and hardware cost are evaluated, respectively. Experimental results demonstrate that the proposed platform could efficiently accelerate the next generation sequencing problem with satisfactory accuracy and acceptable hardware cost.
Editorials and Announcements
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- TCBB celebrates its 10th Anniversary. Editor-in-Chief Ying Xu says, "The emergence and maturation of increasingly more and powerful molecular measurement technologies such as next generation sequencing and chromosome conformation capture allow scientists to tackle biological problems at the depth and breadth that we have never seen before. At the same time the enormity and complexity of the data generated using these technologies raised tremendous challenges to computational scientists to develop more effective techniques to store, transmit, organize, process, analyze and mine the data, and to construct models to assist interpreting the data. Since its creation ten years ago, TCBB has been playing a major role in bridging the world of computing and the world of biology. I want to congratulate what the journal has done in providing biologists with the most powerful computational tools to help address their data and modeling needs. I fully expect that TCBB will continue to play increasingly significant roles in attracting more computational scientists to address the ever increasing needs for new and more powerful computational techniques and to introduce to new comers the important and challenging computational biology problems in a timely fashion."
- Subscribe to TCBB in 2014. Click for more information. (PDF)
- Editorial from the Editor-in-Chief by Y. Xu (January/February 2015)
- Reviewer Appreciation Editorial by Y. Xu (July/August 2014)
- EIC Editorial by M.-F. Sagot (March/April 2011)
- EIC Editorial by M.-F. Sagot (January/February 2011)
- Selected Papers from ACM-BCB 2013 (Jan/Feb 2015)
- Special Section on BIOKDD2013 (Sept/Oct 2014)
- 12th Asia Pacific Bioinformatics Conference (July/August 2014)
- Pattern Recognition in Bioinformatics (May/June 2014)
- Special Section on Bioinformatics Research and Applications (May/June 2014)
- Bioinformatics and Computational Systems Biology (July/August 2012)
- High Performance Computational Systems Biology (May/June 2012)
- Special Section on Bioinformatics Research and Applications (July/August 2011)
- Special Focus on Bioinformatics and Systems Biology (March/April 2011)
- Special Section on Bioinformatics Research and Applications (Oct-Dec 2010)
Call for Papers
- Special Section on Semantic-Based Approaches for Analysis of Biological Data (PDF)
Submission Deadline: March 20, 2015
- Special Issue on Big Data Processing in Computational Biology and Bioinformatics (PDF)
Submission Deadline: March 31, 2015
- Special Issue on Emerging Security Trends for Biomedical Computations, Devices, and Infrastructures (PDF)
Submission Deadline: August 15, 2015
Access All Recently Published TCBB Articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TCBB content added to the digital library
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
TCBB is a joint publication of the IEEE Computer Society, Association for Computing Machinery, IEEE Computational Intelligence Society, and the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society.
Published in cooperation with: IEEE Control Systems Society
Indexed in MEDLINE®/PubMed® & ISI