IEEE Transactions on Computers
IEEE Transactions on Computers (TC) is a monthly publication that publishes research in such areas as computer organizations and architectures, digital devices, operating systems, and new and important applications and trends.
From the February 2016 issue
Memory Bandwidth Management for Efficient Performance Isolation in Multi-Core Platforms
By Heechul Yun, Gang Yao, Rodolfo Pellizzoni, Marco Caccamo, and Lui Sha
Memory bandwidth in modern multi-core platforms is highly variable for many reasons and it is a big challenge in designing real-time systems as applications are increasingly becoming more memory intensive. In this work, we proposed, designed, and implemented an efficient memory bandwidth reservation system, that we call MemGuard . MemGuard separates memory bandwidth in two parts: guaranteed and best effort . It provides bandwidth reservation for the guaranteed bandwidth for temporal isolation, with efficient reclaiming to maximally utilize the reserved bandwidth. It further improves performance by exploiting the best effort bandwidth after satisfying each core's reserved bandwidth. MemGuard is evaluated with SPEC2006 benchmarks on a real hardware platform, and the results demonstrate that it is able to provide memory performance isolation with minimal impact on overall throughput.
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TC content added to the digital library
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
Editorials and Announcements
- Dr. Paolo Montuschi Announced as New Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Computers
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- IEEE Transactions on Computers EIC Albert Zomaya receives two IEEE awards.
New Essential Set
- "Cloud Computing" available at computer.org/store
- "Industrial Implementations of Floating-Point Units" available at computer.org/store
- State of the Journal (Jan 2016)
- State of the Journal (June 2015)
- Farewell State of the Journal (Jan 2015)
- Editorial From the New Editor in Chief (Jan 2015)
- In Memorium (Jan 2015)
- State of the Journal (Jan 2012)
- State of the Journal (May 2011)
- Special Section on Computer Arithmetic (August 2014)
- Special Issue on Network-on-Chip (March 2014)
- Special Issue on Cloud of Clouds (January 2014)
- Special Section on Concurrent On-Line Testing and Error/Fault Resilience of Digital Systems (September 2011)
- Joint Special Section on Innovation in Reconfigurable Computing Fabrics: from Devices to Architectures
Submission Deadline: April 30, 2016
- Special Section on Secure Computer Architectures
Submission Deadline: May 30, 2016
Access Recently Published TC Articles
Importance of Coherence Protocols with Network Applications on Multi-Core Processors
Automated Generation of Performance and Dependability Models for the Assessment of Wireless Sensor Networks