IEEE Transactions on Computers
IEEE Transactions on Computers (TC) is a monthly publication that publishes research in such areas as computer organizations and architectures, digital devices, operating systems, and new and important applications and trends.
From the December 2015 issue
Analytical Fault Tolerance Assessment and Metrics for TSV-Based 3D Network-on-Chip
By Ashkan Eghbal, Pooria M. Yaghini, Nader Bagherzadeh, and Misagh Khayambashi
Reliability is one of the most challenging problems in the context of three-dimensional network-on-chip (3D NoC) systems. Reliability analysis is prominent for early stages of the manufacturing process in order to prevent costly redesigns of a target system. This article classifies the potential physical faults of a baseline TSV-based 3D NoC architecture by targeting two-dimensional (2D) NoC components and their inter-die connections. In this paper, through-silicon via (TSV) issues, thermal concerns, and single event effect (SEE) are investigated and categorized, in order to propose evaluation metrics for inspecting the resiliency of 3D NoC designs. A reliability analysis for major source of faults is reported in this article separately based on their mean time to failure (MTTF). TSV failure probability induced by inductive and capacitive coupling is also discussed. Finally, the paper provides a formal reliability analysis on the aggregated faults that affect TSV. This formal analysis is critical for estimating the resiliency of different components in order to mitigate the redundancy cost of fault-tolerant design or to examine the efficiency of any proposed fault-tolerant methods for 3D NoC architectures.
Editorials and Announcements
- Dr. Paolo Montuschi Announced as New Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Computers
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- IEEE Transactions on Computers EIC Albert Zomaya receives two IEEE awards.
New Essential Set
- "Cloud Computing" available at computer.org/store
- "Industrial Implementations of Floating-Point Units" available at computer.org/store
- State of the Journal (June 2015)
- Farewell State of the Journal (Jan 2015)
- Editorial From the New Editor in Chief (Jan 2015)
- In Memorium (Jan 2015)
- State of the Journal (Jan 2012)
- State of the Journal (May 2011)
- Special Section on Computer Arithmetic (August 2014)
- Special Issue on Network-on-Chip (March 2014)
- Special Issue on Cloud of Clouds (January 2014)
- Special Section on Concurrent On-Line Testing and Error/Fault Resilience of Digital Systems (September 2011)
- Joint Special Section on Innovation in Reconfigurable Computing Fabrics: from Devices to Architectures
Submission Deadline: April 30, 2016
Access Recently Published TC Articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TC content added to the digital library
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
Importance of Coherence Protocols with Network Applications on Multi-Core Processors
Automated Generation of Performance and Dependability Models for the Assessment of Wireless Sensor Networks