Report to Student Members
As the end of the year is nearing, I wanted to express my appreciation for your IEEE Computer Society student membership and your ongoing support of the computing and IT community. I hope you have enjoyed your membership and have been able to take advantage of the benefits, resources, and services available to you.
Once again, student member dues will remain the same for 2013. Students can still join IEEE and IEEE Computer Society for just US$40, giving you affordable access to a wealth of resources as you prepare for your future in computing and information technology.
Our goal is to provide products and resources essential to building your future career, and we are constantly looking for ways to enhance our service to you. Highlighted below are just a few of the new and existing benefits and services we believe you will find very useful. Remember, you can always visit www.computer.org to discover all the ways to get the most from your student membership.
We value all our members, and look forward to your continued participation and involvement with the Computer Society in 2013. Be sure to renew your membership by 31 December 2012.
Again, thank you for your commitment to the IEEE Computer Society and our community.
2012 President, IEEE Computer Society
In This Report
- New! Computing Now Relaunch
- New! New online courses and resources from Skillsoft
- New! Safari Books Online Mobile Access
- Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter
- Your Member Benefits
- 2013 Membership Renewal is Underway
- Give Us Your Feedback
Computer Society offers our student members a wealth of resources to prepare for a future in computing and information technology. For just US$40, students have access to:
- Computer Society Digital Library (CSDL), providing the newest developments and best thinking in the computing world with over 470,000 peer-reviewed articles and papers.
- Development software from Microsoft, including Visual Studio Team System, Microsoft Exchange Server 2010, Expression Design, OneNote 2010, Project 2010, Visio 2010.
- 600 technical and business titles from Safari Books Online, with mobile access.
- Hundreds of e-learning courses covering topics relating to Cisco, IT Security, Java, Project Management, Oracle, MS Office 2010, among others.
- Over 25 scholarships, plus fellowships, awards, and hundreds of travel grants.
Current IEEE students can add Computer Society membership for US$8.00 (U.S. and Canada) or US$13.00 (rest of world).
In August 2012, Computing Now, IEEE Computer Society's online gateway for computing technology articles, news, and multimedia, added targeted channels, industry-focused articles, weekly polls, leading bloggers, and solutions centers. To help you track new developments in targeted technologies, the content is organized into channels on:
- Cloud computing
- High-performance computing
- Mobile computing
- Professional development
- Security, and
- Software development
The expanded site also includes Solutions Centers focusing on technology insights and specific resources to meet current industry needs. Learn more about Computing Now today.
During the past year, Skillsoft, a leading provider of e-learning and performance support solutions, acquired Element K. Beginning January 2013, Computer Society members will have access to hundreds of online courses and books, and numerous technical resources through 16 Skillsoft KnowledgeCenters. The KnowledgeCenters available are:
Call Center Management Professional Foundations
Cisco MCSE and MCSA Certification Six Sigma
DoD 8570.1 Microsoft Enterprise Solutions VB.NET
IT Security Microsoft Office 2010 Visual C#
Leadership Project Management
Watch for these new online learning resources at the Computer Society e-Learning Campus.
Many members have asked about having the convenience of accessing our Safari Books Online library through a mobile device. To address your needs, beginning in December 2012, you can access 600 titles on your iPad or iPhone. Look for further details on the e-Learning Campus.
Join us on the official IEEE Computer Society Facebook page—connect and share information in our technical community.
Stay in touch with us and get timely updates by visiting Computer Society on Twitter.
With so many great benefits it is easy to forget the resources available to you. Be sure to take advantage of these important programs and services:
- Access to technical, business, and project management online courses to help you stay competitive in today's job market.
- Access to 600 titles from top publishers such as O'Reilly Media, Addison Wesley, Prentice Hall, IBM Press, Cisco Press, and Adobe Press.
- Career-building volunteer committees, giving you opportunities to get involved with your community and network with the leaders in the field.
- IEEE Computer Society Jobs Board where you can post your resume or opening and reach thousands of specialized computer science professionals and top-level managers.
- Best rates on our publications, conferences, and certification programs—with significant savings compared to the nonmember rates.
Remember to renew your membership to continue enjoying the best rates on our publications, conferences, and certification programs—the savings can easily offset your membership dues. If you encounter any difficulty in renewing, please contact email@example.com, or call +1 800 678 4333 (USA and Canada) or +1 732 981 0600 (worldwide).
Our members are important to us. Please help us improve your member benefits and membership experience by sharing your thoughts. Let us know what you value most about your membership. Do you use the e-Learning Campus frequently? Are there particular online course topics or book titles of interest to you? Are there things the Computer Society should start doing to help you advance your career and serve you better?
We want to hear from you…please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. All your feedback is welcome, and we appreciate your help with making the IEEE Computer Society a better organization for you and all our members.