Policies & Procedures Manual and Operations Handbooks
Updated November 2014
SECTION 14 - ELECTIONS
14.1 PETITION CANDIDATES
As set forth in Article II of the society's bylaws, candidates for the Board of Governors and the positions of president-elect, first and second vice-president, may be added to the slate of candidates nominated by the Nominations Committee and approved by the Board of Governors by petition. To add petition candidates, the following procedures shall be followed:
1. The petition candidate shall meet the qualifications and follow the procedures for the office sought as specified by IEEE and IEEE Computer Society bylaws;
2. Petition candidates are referred to Article II of the society's bylaws regarding the number of signatures required and other regulations to be followed.
3. The petition candidate shall personally notify, in writing or via e-mail, the society's secretary and assistant secretary of his/her intention to run as a petition candidate, stating the position to be sought. Notification may be sent in the year during which the petition candidate seeks inclusion on the ballot, no sooner than the day after the date on which the society's Board of Governors approves the slate of candidates for the position sought;
4. Petition "signatures" are submitted according to Article II of the bylaws;
5. Petitions to add nominees to the list of candidates shall be provided to the secretary of the IEEE Computer Society and the chair of the Elections Committee in accordance with the election schedule approved by the Board of Governors for that election year. The secretary shall:
a. Send the original petition "signatures" by certified mailto the secretary of the IEEE Technical Activities Board for certification of eligibility of the signatories.
b. Shall keep one copy of the petition until notification is received of the results of the certification process.
c. Shall notify the president, chair of the Elections Committee, the chief staff executive and the additional nominee(s) the results of the certification process.
The chief staff executive shall complete the processing to ensure that the additional nominee(s) are listed on the ballot.
14.2 ELECTION RESULTS TO BE PUBLISHED
The results of all membership elections are to be published in Computer at the earliest possible date including tallies of votes cast.
14.3 ELECTION RESULTS TO BE SENT TO EACH CANDIDATE
The chief staff executive shall send notice of the election results to each candidate on the ballot within ten calendar days of the close of the election stating both the results and the vote count.
14.4 SOURCE OF NOMINATION DISCLOSURE
Candidates for IEEE Computer Society officers and Board of Governors should not be identified on the ballot by source of nomination