Transactions on Software Engineering
The IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (TSE) is an archival journal published bimonthly. We are interested in well-defined theoretical results and empirical studies that have potential impact on the construction, analysis, or management of software. Read the full scope of TSE.
Expand your horizons with Colloquium, a monthly survey of abstracts from all CS transactions! Replaces OnlinePlus in January 2017.
From the July 2018 Issue
On Accelerating Source Code Analysis at Massive Scale
By Ganesha Upadhyaya and Hridesh Rajan
Encouraged by the success of data-driven software engineering (SE) techniques that have found numerous applications e.g., in defect prediction, specification inference, the demand for mining and analyzing source code repositories at scale has significantly increased. However, analyzing source code at scale remains expensive to the extent that data-driven solutions to certain SE problems are beyond our reach today. Extant techniques have focused on leveraging distributed computing to solve this problem, but with a concomitant increase in computational resource needs. This work proposes a technique that reduces the amount of computation performed by the ultra-large-scale source code mining task, especially those that make use of control and data flow analyses. Our key idea is to analyze the mining task to identify and remove the irrelevant portions of the source code, prior to running the mining task. We show a realization of our insight for mining and analyzing massive collections of control flow graphs of source codes. Our evaluation using 16 classical control-/data-flow analyses that are typical components of mining tasks and 7 Million CFGs shows that our technique can achieve on average a 40 percent reduction in the task computation time. Our case studies demonstrates the applicability of our technique to massive scale source code mining tasks.
Editorials and Announcements
- We are pleased to announce that Nenad Medvidović, a Professor in the Computer Science Department and in the Informatics Program at the University of Southern California, has been selected as the new Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering starting in 2018.
- TSE now offers authors access to Code Ocean. Code Ocean is a cloud-based executable research platform that allows authors to share their algorithms in an effort to make the world’s scientific code more open and reproducible. Learn more or sign up for free.
- According to Clarivate Analytics' 2016 Journal Citation Report, TSE has an impact factor of 3.272.
- State of the Journal (January 2018)
- Editorial from the New Editor in Chief (January 2018)
- Connecting and Serving the Software Engineering Community (March 2016)
- Editorial: Journal-First Publication for the Software Engineering Community (Jan 2016)
- State of the Journal Editorial (Jan 2015)
- In Memoriam: Mary Jean Harrold (1947-2013) (Nov 2013)
- In Memoriam: David Notkin (1953-2013) (June 2013)
- 2016 TSE Reviewers List (PDF)
- 2016 TSE Annual Index (PDF)
Access All Recently Published TSE Articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of recently published TSE content
Sign up for e-mail notifications through IEEE Xplore Content Alerts
View TSE preprints in the Computer Society Digital Library