Transactions on Software Engineering
The IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (TSE) is an archival journal published bimonthly. We are interested in well-defined theoretical results and empirical studies that have potential impact on the construction, analysis, or management of software. Read the full scope of TSE.
Expand your horizons with Colloquium, a monthly survey of abstracts from all CS transactions!
From the August 2018 Issue
A Comparison of Program Comprehension Strategies by Blind and Sighted Programmers
By Ameer Armaly, Paige Rodeghero, and Collin McMillan
Programmers who are blind use a screen reader to speak source code one word at a time, as though the code were text. This process of reading is in stark contrast to sighted programmers, who skim source code rapidly with their eyes. At present, it is not known whether the difference in these processes has effects on the program comprehension gained from reading code. These effects are important because they could reduce both the usefulness of accessibility tools and the generalizability of software engineering studies to persons with low vision. In this paper, we present an empirical study comparing the program comprehension of blind and sighted programmers. We found that both blind and sighted programmers prioritize reading method signatures over other areas of code. Both groups obtained an equal and high degree of comprehension, despite the different reading processes.
Editorials and Announcements
- We are pleased to announce that Nenad Medvidović, a Professor in the Computer Science Department and in the Informatics Program at the University of Southern California, has been selected as the new Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering starting in 2018.
- TSE now offers authors access to Code Ocean. Code Ocean is a cloud-based executable research platform that allows authors to share their algorithms in an effort to make the world’s scientific code more open and reproducible. Learn more or sign up for free.
- According to Clarivate Analytics' 2016 Journal Citation Report, TSE has an impact factor of 3.272.
- State of the Journal (January 2018)
- Editorial from the New Editor in Chief (January 2018)
- Connecting and Serving the Software Engineering Community (March 2016)
- Editorial: Journal-First Publication for the Software Engineering Community (Jan 2016)
- State of the Journal Editorial (Jan 2015)
- In Memoriam: Mary Jean Harrold (1947-2013) (Nov 2013)
- In Memoriam: David Notkin (1953-2013) (June 2013)
- 2016 TSE Reviewers List (PDF)
- 2016 TSE Annual Index (PDF)
Access All Recently Published TSE Articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of recently published TSE content
Sign up for e-mail notifications through IEEE Xplore Content Alerts
View TSE preprints in the Computer Society Digital Library