IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems
IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (TPDS) is a scholarly archival journal published monthly. Parallelism and distributed computing are foundational research and technology to rapidly advance computer systems and their applications. Read the full scope of TPDS
Expand your horizons with Colloquium, a monthly survey of abstracts from all CS transactions! Replaces OnlinePlus in January 2017.
From the June 2017 Issue
Understanding Big Data Analytics Workloads on Modern Processors
By Zhen Jia, Jianfeng Zhan, Lei Wang, Chunjie Luo, Wanling Gao, Yi Jin, Rui Han, and Lixin Zhang
Big data analytics workloads are very significant ones in modern data centers, and it is more and more important to characterize their representative workloads and understand their behaviors so as to improve the performance of data center computer systems. In this paper, we embark on a comprehensive study to understand the impacts and performance implications of the big data analytics workloads on the systems equipped with modern superscalar out-of-order processors. After investigating three most important application domains in Internet services in terms of page views and daily visitors, we choose 11 representative data analytics workloads and characterize their micro-architectural behaviors by using hardware performance counters. Our study reveals that the big data analytics workloads share many inherent characteristics, which place them in a different class from the traditional workloads and the scale-out services. To further understand the characteristics of big data analytics workloads, we perform correlation analysis to identify the most key factors that affect cycles per instruction (CPI). Also, we reveal that the increasing complexity of the big data software stacks will put higher pressures on the modern processor pipelines.
Editorials and Announcements
- According to Thomson Reuters' 2013 Journal Citation Report, TPDS has an impact factor of 2.173.
- TPDS celebrates its 25th Anniversary. Editor-in-Chief David A. Bader says, "Congratulations to TPDS on its Silver Jubilee! For 25 years, TPDS has been the parallel and distributed computing community's flagship journal for research breakthroughs!"
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- Editor's Note (January 2017)
- Editor's Note (January 2016)
- Editor's Note (January 2015)
- State of the Journal (January 2014)
- Editor's Note: EIC Farewell and New EIC Introduction (Dec 2013)
- Editor's Note (November 2013)
- Editor's Note (January 2013)
- Editor's Note (April 2012)
- Editor's Note (January 2012)
- Editorial: Media Center (November 2011)
- Editor's Note: How to Write Research Articles in Computing and Engineering Disciplines by Ivan Stojmenovic
- Full Supplemental PDF of Editor's Note: How to Write Research Articles in Computing and Engineering Disciplines by Ivan Stojmenovic and Veljko Milutinovic (PDF)
- Special Issue on Trust, Security, and Privacy in Parallel and Distributed Systems (Feb 2014)
- Special Issue on Cloud Computing (June 2013)
- Special Issue on Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS) (Sept 2012)
- Special Section on Many-Task Computing (June 2011)
Access recently published TPDS articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TPDS content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
Listen to the OnlinePlus Podcast: Computer Society Publishing—two more titles migrate to OnlinePlus™ in 2012.
In this podcast, VP of Publications, David Alan Grier talks about Transactions on Mobile Computing and Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems migrating to OnlinePlus™.
TPDS is indexed in ISI