IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems
IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (TPDS) is a scholarly archival journal published monthly. Parallelism and distributed computing are foundational research and technology to rapidly advance computer systems and their applications. Read the full scope of TPDS.
Expand your horizons with Colloquium, a monthly survey of abstracts from all CS transactions! Replaces OnlinePlus in January 2017.
From the July 2018 Issue
Quantifying the Impact of Variability and Heterogeneity on the Energy Efficiency for a Next-Generation Ultra-Green Supercomputer
By Francesco Fraternali, Andrea Bartolini, Carlo Cavazzoni, and Luca Benini
Supercomputers, nowadays, aggregate a large number of nodes featuring the same nominal HW components (e.g., processors and GPGPUS). In real-life machines, the chips populating each node are subject to a wide range of variability sources, related to performance and temperature operating points (i.e., ACPI p-states) as well as process variations and die binning. Eurora is a fully operational supercomputer prototype that topped July 2013 Green500 and it represents a unique ’living lab’ for next-generation ultra-green supercomputers. In this paper we evaluate and quantify the impact of variability on Eurora's energy-performance tradeoffs under a wide range of workloads intensity. Our experiments demonstrate that variability comes from hardware component mismatches as well as from the interplay between run-time energy management and workload variations. Thus, variability has a significant impact on energy efficiency even at the moderate scale of the Eurora machine, thereby substantiating the critical importance of variability management in future green supercomputers.
Editorials and Announcements
- We are pleased to announce that Manish Parashar, a Distinguished Professor of Computer Science at Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey University, has been selected as the new Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems starting in 2018.
- We are pleased to announce that Xian-He Sun, a Distinguished Professor of Computer Science at The Illinois Institute of Technology, has been selected as the new Associate Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems starting in 2018.
- TPDS now offers authors access to Code Ocean. Code Ocean is a cloud-based executable research platform that allows authors to share their algorithms in an effort to make the world’s scientific code more open and reproducible. Learn more or sign up for free.
- According to Clarivate Analytics' 2016 Journal Citation Report, TPDS has an impact factor of 4.181.
- State of the Journal (January 2018)
- Editor's Note (December 2017)
- Editor's Note (January 2017)
- Editor's Note (January 2016)
- Editor's Note (January 2015)
- State of the Journal (January 2014)
- Editor's Note: EIC Farewell and New EIC Introduction (Dec 2013)
- Editor's Note: How to Write Research Articles in Computing and Engineering Disciplines by Ivan Stojmenovic
- Full Supplemental PDF of Editor's Note: How to Write Research Articles in Computing and Engineering Disciplines by Ivan Stojmenovic and Veljko Milutinovic (PDF)
- Special Issue on Trust, Security, and Privacy in Parallel and Distributed Systems (Feb 2014)
- Special Issue on Cloud Computing (June 2013)
Access recently published TPDS articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of recently published TPDS content
Sign up for e-mail notifications through IEEE Xplore Content Alerts
View TPDS preprints in the Computer Society Digital Library
TPDS is indexed in ISI