IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems
IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (TPDS) is a scholarly archival journal published monthly. Parallelism and distributed computing are foundational research and technology to rapidly advance computer systems and their applications. Read the full scope of TPDS
Expand your horizons with Colloquium, a monthly survey of abstracts from all CS transactions! Replaces OnlinePlus in January 2017.
From the November 2017 Issue
Accelerating Decision Tree Based Traffic Classification on FPGA and Multicore Platforms
By Da Tong, Yun Rock Qu, and Viktor K. Prasanna
Machine learning (ML) algorithms have been shown to be effective in classifying a broad range of applications in the Internet traffic. In this paper, we propose algorithms and architectures to realize online traffic classification using flow level features. First, we develop a traffic classifier based on C4.5 decision tree algorithm and Entropy-MDL (Minimum Description Length) discretization algorithm. It achieves an overall accuracy of 97.92 percent for classifying eight major applications. Next we propose approaches to accelerate the classifier on FPGA (Field Programmable Gate Array) and multicore platforms. We optimize the original classifier by merging it with discretization. Our implementation of this optimized decision tree achieves 7500+ Million Classifications Per Second (MCPS) on a state-of-the-art FPGA platform and 75-150 MCPS on two state-of-the-art multicore platforms. We also propose a divide and conquer approach to handle imbalanced decision trees. Our implementation of the divide-and-conquer approach achieves 10,000+ MCPS on a state-of-the-art FPGA platform and 130-340 MCPS on two state-of-the-art multicore platforms. We conduct extensive experiments on both platforms for various application scenarios to compare the two approaches.
Editorials and Announcements
- According to Clarivate Analytics' 2016 Journal Citation Report, TPDS has an impact factor of 4.181.
- Editor's Note (January 2017)
- Editor's Note (January 2016)
- Editor's Note (January 2015)
- State of the Journal (January 2014)
- Editor's Note: EIC Farewell and New EIC Introduction (Dec 2013)
- Editor's Note: How to Write Research Articles in Computing and Engineering Disciplines by Ivan Stojmenovic
- Full Supplemental PDF of Editor's Note: How to Write Research Articles in Computing and Engineering Disciplines by Ivan Stojmenovic and Veljko Milutinovic (PDF)
- Special Issue on Trust, Security, and Privacy in Parallel and Distributed Systems (Feb 2014)
- Special Issue on Cloud Computing (June 2013)
Access recently published TPDS articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TPDS content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
TPDS is indexed in ISI