IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems
IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (TPDS) is a scholarly archival journal published monthly. Parallelism and distributed computing are foundational research and technology to rapidly advance computer systems and their applications. Read the full scope of TPDS.
Expand your horizons with Colloquium, a monthly survey of abstracts from all CS transactions! Replaces OnlinePlus in January 2017.
From the March 2018 Issue
Elastic Symbiotic Scaling of Operators and Resources in Stream Processing Systems
By F. Lombardi, L. Aniello, S. Bonomi, and L. Querzoni
Distributed stream processing frameworks are designed to perform continuous computation on possibly unbounded data streams whose rates can change over time. Devising solutions to make such systems elastically scale is a fundamental goal to achieve desired performance and cut costs caused by resource over-provisioning. These systems can be scaled along two dimensions: the operator parallelism and the number of resources. In this paper, we show how these two dimensions, as two symbiotic entities, are independent but must mutually interact for the global benefit of the system. On the basis of this observation, we propose a fine-grained model for estimating the resource utilization of a stream processing application that enables the independent scaling of operators and resources. A simple, yet effective, combined management of the two dimensions allows us to propose ELYSIUM, a novel elastic scaling approach that provides efficient resource utilization. We implemented the proposed approach within Apache Storm and tested it by running two real-world applications with different input load curves. The outcomes backup our claims showing that the proposed symbiotic management outperforms elastic scaling strategies where operators and resources are jointly scaled.
Editorials and Announcements
- We are pleased to announce that Manish Parashar, a Distinguished Professor of Computer Science at Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey University, has been selected as the new Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems starting in 2018.
- We are pleased to announce that Xian-He Sun, a Distinguished Professor of Computer Science at The Illinois Institute of Technology, has been selected as the new Associate Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems starting in 2018.
- TPDS now offers authors access to Code Ocean. Code Ocean is a cloud-based executable research platform that allows authors to share their algorithms in an effort to make the world’s scientific code more open and reproducible. Learn more or sign up for free.
- According to Clarivate Analytics' 2016 Journal Citation Report, TPDS has an impact factor of 4.181.
- State of the Journal (January 2018)
- Editor's Note (December 2017)
- Editor's Note (January 2017)
- Editor's Note (January 2016)
- Editor's Note (January 2015)
- State of the Journal (January 2014)
- Editor's Note: EIC Farewell and New EIC Introduction (Dec 2013)
- Editor's Note: How to Write Research Articles in Computing and Engineering Disciplines by Ivan Stojmenovic
- Full Supplemental PDF of Editor's Note: How to Write Research Articles in Computing and Engineering Disciplines by Ivan Stojmenovic and Veljko Milutinovic (PDF)
- Special Issue on Trust, Security, and Privacy in Parallel and Distributed Systems (Feb 2014)
- Special Issue on Cloud Computing (June 2013)
Access recently published TPDS articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of recently published TPDS content
Sign up for e-mail notifications through IEEE Xplore Content Alerts
View TPDS preprints in the Computer Society Digital Library
TPDS is indexed in ISI