IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems
IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (TPDS) is a scholarly archival journal published monthly. Parallelism and distributed computing are foundational research and technology to rapidly advance computer systems and their applications. Read the full scope of TPDS
Expand your horizons with Colloquium, a monthly survey of abstracts from all CS transactions! Replaces OnlinePlus in January 2017.
From the August 2017 Issue
Exploiting Locality in Sparse Matrix-Matrix Multiplication on Many-Core Architectures
By Kadir Akbudak and Cevdet Aykanat
Exploiting spatial and temporal localities is investigated for efficient row-by-row parallelization of general sparse matrix-matrix multiplication (SpGEMM) operation of the form C=A B on many-core architectures. Hypergraph and bipartite graph models are proposed for 1D rowwise partitioning of matrix A to evenly partition the work across threads with the objective of reducing the number of B-matrix words to be transferred from the memory and between different caches. A hypergraph model is proposed for B-matrix column reordering to exploit spatial locality in accessing entries of thread-private temporary arrays, which are used to accumulate results for C-matrix rows. A similarity graph model is proposed for B-matrix row reordering to increase temporal reuse of these accumulation array entries. The proposed models and methods are tested on a wide range of sparse matrices from real applications and the experiments were carried on a 60-core Intel Xeon Phi processor, as well as a two-socket Xeon processor. Results show the validity of the models and methods proposed for enhancing the locality in parallel SpGEMM operations.
Editorials and Announcements
- According to Thomson Reuters' 2013 Journal Citation Report, TPDS has an impact factor of 2.173.
- TPDS celebrates its 25th Anniversary. Editor-in-Chief David A. Bader says, "Congratulations to TPDS on its Silver Jubilee! For 25 years, TPDS has been the parallel and distributed computing community's flagship journal for research breakthroughs!"
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- Editor's Note (January 2017)
- Editor's Note (January 2016)
- Editor's Note (January 2015)
- State of the Journal (January 2014)
- Editor's Note: EIC Farewell and New EIC Introduction (Dec 2013)
- Editor's Note (November 2013)
- Editor's Note (January 2013)
- Editor's Note (April 2012)
- Editor's Note (January 2012)
- Editorial: Media Center (November 2011)
- Editor's Note: How to Write Research Articles in Computing and Engineering Disciplines by Ivan Stojmenovic
- Full Supplemental PDF of Editor's Note: How to Write Research Articles in Computing and Engineering Disciplines by Ivan Stojmenovic and Veljko Milutinovic (PDF)
- Special Issue on Trust, Security, and Privacy in Parallel and Distributed Systems (Feb 2014)
- Special Issue on Cloud Computing (June 2013)
- Special Issue on Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS) (Sept 2012)
- Special Section on Many-Task Computing (June 2011)
Access recently published TPDS articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TPDS content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
Listen to the OnlinePlus Podcast: Computer Society Publishing—two more titles migrate to OnlinePlus™ in 2012.
In this podcast, VP of Publications, David Alan Grier talks about Transactions on Mobile Computing and Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems migrating to OnlinePlus™.
TPDS is indexed in ISI