IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems
IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (TPDS) is a scholarly archival journal published monthly. Parallelism and distributed computing are foundational research and technology to rapidly advance computer systems and their applications. Read the full scope of TPDS
Expand your horizons with Colloquium, a monthly survey of abstracts from all CS transactions! Replaces OnlinePlus in January 2017.
From the September 2017 Issue
Parallel Graph Partitioning for Complex Networks
By Henning Meyerhenke, Peter Sanders, and Christian Schulz
Processing large complex networks like social networks or web graphs has attracted considerable interest. To do this in parallel, we need to partition them into pieces of roughly equal size. Unfortunately, previous parallel graph partitioners originally developed for more regular mesh-like networks do not work well for complex networks. Here we address this problem by parallelizing and adapting the label propagation technique originally developed for graph clustering. By introducing size constraints, label propagation becomes applicable for both the coarsening and the refinement phase of multilevel graph partitioning. This way we exploit the hierarchical cluster structure present in many complex networks. We obtain very high quality by applying a highly parallel evolutionary algorithm to the coarsest graph. The resulting system is both more scalable and achieves higher quality than state-of-the-art systems like ParMetis or PT-Scotch. For large complex networks the performance differences are very big. As an example, our algorithm partitions a web graph with 3.3 G edges in 16 seconds using 512 cores of a high-performance cluster while producing a high quality partition—none of the competing systems can handle this graph on our system.
Editorials and Announcements
- According to Thomson Reuters' 2013 Journal Citation Report, TPDS has an impact factor of 2.173.
- TPDS celebrates its 25th Anniversary. Editor-in-Chief David A. Bader says, "Congratulations to TPDS on its Silver Jubilee! For 25 years, TPDS has been the parallel and distributed computing community's flagship journal for research breakthroughs!"
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- Editor's Note (January 2017)
- Editor's Note (January 2016)
- Editor's Note (January 2015)
- State of the Journal (January 2014)
- Editor's Note: EIC Farewell and New EIC Introduction (Dec 2013)
- Editor's Note (November 2013)
- Editor's Note (January 2013)
- Editor's Note (April 2012)
- Editor's Note (January 2012)
- Editorial: Media Center (November 2011)
- Editor's Note: How to Write Research Articles in Computing and Engineering Disciplines by Ivan Stojmenovic
- Full Supplemental PDF of Editor's Note: How to Write Research Articles in Computing and Engineering Disciplines by Ivan Stojmenovic and Veljko Milutinovic (PDF)
- Special Issue on Trust, Security, and Privacy in Parallel and Distributed Systems (Feb 2014)
- Special Issue on Cloud Computing (June 2013)
- Special Issue on Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS) (Sept 2012)
- Special Section on Many-Task Computing (June 2011)
Access recently published TPDS articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TPDS content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
Listen to the OnlinePlus Podcast: Computer Society Publishing—two more titles migrate to OnlinePlus™ in 2012.
In this podcast, VP of Publications, David Alan Grier talks about Transactions on Mobile Computing and Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems migrating to OnlinePlus™.
TPDS is indexed in ISI