IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence
IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (TPAMI) is a scholarly archival journal published monthly. This journal covers traditional areas of computer vision and image understanding, all traditional areas of pattern analysis and recognition, and selected areas of machine intelligence. Read the full scope of TPAMI.
Expand your horizons with Colloquium, a monthly survey of abstracts from all CS transactions! Replaces OnlinePlus in January 2017.
From the October 2017 issue
Local Submodularization for Binary Pairwise Energies
By Lena Gorelick, Yuri Boykov, Olga Veksler, Ismail Ben Ayed, and Andrew Delong
Many computer vision problems require optimization of binary non-submodular energies. We propose a general optimization framework based on local submodular approximations (LSA). Unlike standard LP relaxation methods that linearize the whole energy globally, our approach iteratively approximates the energy locally. On the other hand, unlike standard local optimization methods (e.g., gradient descent or projection techniques) we use non-linear submodular approximations and optimize them without leaving the domain of integer solutions. We discuss two specific LSA algorithms based on trust region and auxiliary function principles, LSA-TR and LSA-AUX. The proposed methods obtain state-of-the-art results on a wide range of applications such as binary deconvolution, curvature regularization, inpainting, segmentation with repulsion and two types of shape priors. Finally, we discuss a move-making extension to the LSA-TR approach. While our paper is focused on pairwise energies, our ideas extend to higher-order problems. The code is available online.
Editorials and Announcements
- We are pleased to announce that Sven Dickinson, a professor in the Department of Computer Science at the University of Toronto, Canada, has been named the new Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence starting in 2017.
- According to Clarivate Analytics' 2016 Journal Citation Report, TPAMI has an impact factor of 8.329.
- Incoming EIC Editorial (Jan 2017)
- State of the Journal (Jan 2017)
- State of the Journal (Feb 2016)
- State of the Journal (Jan 2015)
- Editor's Note (June 2013)
- Farewall State of the Journal (Jan 2013)
- Editor's Note (Jan 2013)
- Editor's Note (May 2012)
- Editor's Note (February 2012)
- State of the Journal (January 2012)
- Best of CVPR 2015 (April 2017)
- Special Issue on Multimodal Human Pose Recovery and Behavior Analysis (August 2016)
- Special Section on CVPR 2014 (July 2016)
- Special Section on CVPR 2013 (April 2016)
- Special Issue on Higher Order Graphical Models in Computer Vision (July 2015)
- Special Issue on Bayesian Nonparametrics (Feb 2015)
- TPAMI CVPR Special Section (Dec 2013)
- Special Section on Learning Deep Architectures (Aug 2013)
- In Memoriam: Mark Everingham (Nov 2012)
- Introduction to the Special Section on IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (September 2012)
Access recently published TPAMI articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TPAMI content added to the digital library
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.