IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence
IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (TPAMI) is a scholarly archival journal published monthly. This journal covers traditional areas of computer vision and image understanding, all traditional areas of pattern analysis and recognition, and selected areas of machine intelligence. Read the full scope of TPAMI.
Expand your horizons with Colloquium, a monthly survey of abstracts from all CS transactions! Replaces OnlinePlus in January 2017.
From the June 2018 issue
Image Captioning and Visual Question Answering Based on Attributes and External Knowledge
By Qi Wu, Chunhua Shen, Peng Wang, Anthony Dick, and Anton van den Hengel
Much of the recent progress in Vision-to-Language problems has been achieved through a combination of Convolutional Neural Networks (CNNs) and Recurrent Neural Networks (RNNs). This approach does not explicitly represent high-level semantic concepts, but rather seeks to progress directly from image features to text. In this paper we first propose a method of incorporating high-level concepts into the successful CNN-RNN approach, and show that it achieves a significant improvement on the state-of-the-art in both image captioning and visual question answering. We further show that the same mechanism can be used to incorporate external knowledge, which is critically important for answering high level visual questions. Specifically, we design a visual question answering model that combines an internal representation of the content of an image with information extracted from a general knowledge base to answer a broad range of image-based questions. It particularly allows questions to be asked where the image alone does not contain the information required to select the appropriate answer. Our final model achieves the best reported results for both image captioning and visual question answering on several of the major benchmark datasets.
Editorials and Announcements
- TPAMI now offers authors access to Code Ocean. Code Ocean is a cloud-based executable research platform that allows authors to share their algorithms in an effort to make the world’s scientific code more open and reproducible. Learn more or sign up for free.
- We are pleased to announce that Sven Dickinson, a professor in the Department of Computer Science at the University of Toronto, Canada, has been named the new Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence starting in 2017.
- According to Clarivate Analytics' 2016 Journal Citation Report, TPAMI has an impact factor of 8.329.
- State of the Journal (Jan 2018)
- Incoming EIC Editorial (Jan 2017)
- State of the Journal (Jan 2017)
- State of the Journal (Feb 2016)
- State of the Journal (Jan 2015)
- Editor's Note (June 2013)
- Farewall State of the Journal (Jan 2013)
- Editor's Note (Jan 2013)
- Editor's Note (May 2012)
- Editor's Note (February 2012)
- State of the Journal (January 2012)
- Guest Editors' Introduction to the Special Section on Learning with Shared Information for Computer Vision and Multimedia Analysis (May 2018)
- Best of CVPR 2015 (April 2017)
- Special Issue on Multimodal Human Pose Recovery and Behavior Analysis (August 2016)
- Special Section on CVPR 2014 (July 2016)
- Special Section on CVPR 2013 (April 2016)
- Special Issue on Higher Order Graphical Models in Computer Vision (July 2015)
- Special Issue on Bayesian Nonparametrics (Feb 2015)
- TPAMI CVPR Special Section (Dec 2013)
- Special Section on Learning Deep Architectures (Aug 2013)
- In Memoriam: Mark Everingham (Nov 2012)
- Introduction to the Special Section on IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (September 2012)
Call for Papers
- Special Issue on Fine-Grained Visual Categorization
Submission deadline: 30 Sept. 2018
Access recently published TPAMI articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of recently published TPAMI content
Sign up for e-mail notifications through IEEE Xplore Content Alerts
View TPAMI preprints in the Computer Society Digital Library