IEEE Transactions on Haptics
Expand your horizons with Colloquium, a monthly survey of abstracts from all CS transactions! Replaces OnlinePlus in January 2017.
From the October-December 2016 issue
The Role of Visual and Haptic Feedback During Dynamically Coupled Bimanual Manipulation
By Sara Contu, Charmayne Mary Lee Hughes, and Lorenzo Masia
The mechanisms that underlie the control of bimanual actions in which the two hands act separately to manipulate different objects (uncoupled independent control) has been well studied. In contrast, much less is known about how the central nervous system controls bimanual actions that require the two hands act cooperatively to manipulate a single object (dynamically coupled control). Furthermore, there is scant research into the manual lateralization and role assignment in the processing of visual and haptic feedback during dynamically coupled bimanual tasks. In this experiment, we examined the role of the dominant and non-dominant hands during a dynamically coupled bimanual task in which visual and haptic feedback regarding object penetration were manipulated. Twelve subjects performed a bimanual grasp and reach task towards different target locations in the workspace by using two identical wrist robotic devices. Results showed haptic feedback is necessary for task completion, and that hand specialization plays a fundamental role in spatial and temporal coordination between the two limbs.
Editorials and Announcements
- Read "Designing Effective Refreshable Braille Displays" written by EIC Lynette Jones that discusses an influential paper by Alexander Russomanno and colleagues published in the July-September 2015 issue which examined the features necessary for effective braille reading using a refreshable display.
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- ToH Citations for Meritorious Service (2008-2015)
- EIC Editorial (Jan-March 2016)
- Editorial (Jan-March 2015)
- Editorial (Jan-March 2014)
- EIC Editorial (Oct-Dec 2013)
- Editorial (Jan-March 2013)
- Haptics in Neuroscience (Oct-Dec 2016)
- Biology to Technology in Active Touch Sensing – Introduction to the Special Section (April-June 2016)
- Haptic Assistive Technology for Individuals who are Visually Impaired (July-Sept 2015)
- Special Issue on Haptics in Rehabilitation and Neural Engineering (April-June 2014)
- News from the Field (July-Sept 2016)
- News from the Field (April-June 2016)
- Book Review: Taking the Other Cinderella to the Ball: A Review of Psychology of Touch and Blindness (PDF)
- News from the Field (July-Sept 2015)
- News from the Field: Coders and the Creative Unite to Design and Build Apps for Surface Haptics (April-June 2015)
- News from the Field Asia Haptics (Jan-March 2015)
- News from the Field: Courses in Haptics (Oct-Dec 2014)
- News from the Field [Demonstrations presented at the 2014 Eurohaptics Conference] (July-Sept 2014)
- News from the Field (April-June 2014)
- Book Review: Human Robotics: Neuromechanics and Motor Control (PDF)
Call for Papers
- Special Issue on Applications of Smart Materials to Haptics (PDF)
Submission Deadline: February 1, 2017.
- Submit your papers to ToH. Open Ended call for papers (PDF)
Access recently published ToH articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest ToH content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
ToH is a joint publication of the IEEE Computer Society, IEEE Robotics and Automation Society and the IEEE Consumer Electronics Society.
Indexed in MEDLINE®/PubMed® & ISI