IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing
IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing (TMC) is a scholarly archival journal published monthly that focuses on the key technical issues related to Mobile Computing. It is the intent of TMC to publish mature works of research, typically those that have appeared in part in conferences. Furthermore, it is the intent of TMC to focus on issues at the link-layer and above in wireless communications, and to focus only on topics explicitly or plausibly related to mobile systems. Read the full scope of TMC
Expand your horizons with Colloquium, a monthly survey of abstracts from all CS transactions! Replaces OnlinePlus in January 2017.
From the October 2017 issue
A Tale of Ten Cities: Characterizing Signatures of Mobile Traffic in Urban Areas
By Angelo Furno, Marco Fiore, Razvan Stanica, Cezary Ziemlicki, and Zbigniew Smoreda
Urban landscapes present a variety of socio-topological environments that are associated to diverse human activities. As the latter affect the way individuals connect with each other, a bound exists between the urban tissue and the mobile communication demand. In this paper, we investigate the heterogeneous patterns emerging in the mobile communication activity recorded within metropolitan regions. To that end, we introduce an original technique to identify classes of mobile traffic signatures that are distinctive of different urban fabrics. Our proposed technique outperforms previous approaches when confronted to ground-truth information, and allows characterizing the mobile demand in greater detail than that attained in the literature to date. We apply our technique to extensive real-world data collected by major mobile operators in 10 cities. Results unveil the diversity of baseline communication activities across countries, but also provide evidence of the existence of a number of mobile traffic signatures that are common to all studied areas and specific to particular land uses.
Editorials and Announcements
- We are pleased to announce that Marwan Krunz, the Kenneth VonBehren Endowed Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Arizona, USA, has been named the new Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing starting in 2017.
- We are pleased to announce that Kevin Almeroth, Professor of Computer Science at the University of California in Santa Barbara, has been named the new Associate Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing starting in 2017.
- According to Thomson Reuters' 2016 Journal Citation Report, TMC has an impact factor of 3.822.
- Editorial: A Message from the Incoming Editor-in-Chief (May 2017)
- Farewell Editorial (Jan 2017)
- EIC Editorial (May 2015)
- State of the Journal (Feb 2015)
Access recently published TMC articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TMC content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
TMC is a joint publication of the:
TMC is published in cooperation with: IEEE Electromagnetic Compatibility Society, IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, IEEE Technology Management Council, IEEE Information Theory Society, IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Society, IEEE Power & Energy Society, IEEE Robotics and Automation Society, and IEEE Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Society
TMC is indexed in ISI