IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering
IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE) is an archival journal published monthly designed to inform researchers, developers, managers, strategic planners, users, and others interested in state-of-the-art and state-of-the-practice activities in the knowledge and data engineering area. Read the full scope of TKDE
Expand your horizons with Colloquium, a monthly survey of abstracts from all CS transactions!
From the January 2019 issue
Finding Optimal Skyline Product Combinations under Price Promotion
By Xu Zhou, Kenli Li, Zhibang Yang, and Keqin Li
Nowadays, with the development of e-commerce, a growing number of customers choose to go shopping online. To find attractive products from online shopping marketplaces, the skyline query is a useful tool which offers more interesting and preferable choices for customers. The skyline query and its variants have been extensively investigated. However, to the best of our knowledge, they have not taken into account the requirements of customers in certain practical application scenarios. Recently, online shopping marketplaces usually hold some price promotion campaigns to attract customers and increase their purchase intention. Considering the requirements of customers in this practical application scenario, we are concerned about product selection under price promotion. We formulate a constrained optimal product combination (COPC) problem. It aims to find out the skyline product combinations which both meet a customer’s willingness to pay and bring the maximum discount rate. The COPC problem is significant to offer powerful decision support for customers under price promotion, which is certified by a customer study. To process the COPC problem effectively, we first propose a two list exact (TLE) algorithm. The COPC problem is proven to be NP-hard, and the TLE algorithm is not scalable because it needs to process an exponential number of product combinations. Additionally, we design a lower bound approximate (LBA) algorithm that has a guarantee about the accuracy of the results and an incremental greedy (IG) algorithm that has good performance. The experiment results demonstrate the efficiency and effectiveness of our proposed algorithms.
Editorials and Announcements
- TKDE now offers authors access to Code Ocean. Code Ocean is a cloud-based executable research platform that allows authors to share their algorithms in an effort to make the world’s scientific code more open and reproducible. Learn more or sign up for free.
- We are pleased to announce that Xuemin Lin, a Scientia Professor in the School of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of New South Wales, Australia, has been named the new Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering starting in 2017.
- New EIC Editorial (March 2017)
- Editorial (January 2017)
- EIC Editorial (October 2016)
- In Memoriam: Chittoor V. Ramamoorthy, PhD 1926-2016 (June 2016)
- State of the Journal (January 2016)
- Editorial (August 2015)
- State of the Journal Editorial (January 2015)
- Special Section on the International Conference on Data Engineering 2016 (January 2019)
- Special Section on the International Conference on Data Engineering 2015 (March 2017)
- Special Section on the International Conference on Data Engineering (February 2016)
- Special Section on the International Conference on Data Engineering (July 2015)
Access recently published TKDE articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of recently published TKDE content
Sign up for e-mail notifications through IEEE Xplore Content Alerts
View TKDE preprints in the Computer Society Digital Library