IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering
IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE) is an archival journal published monthly designed to inform researchers, developers, managers, strategic planners, users, and others interested in state-of-the-art and state-of-the-practice activities in the knowledge and data engineering area. Read the full scope of TKDE
Expand your horizons with Colloquium, a monthly survey of abstracts from all CS transactions! Replaces OnlinePlus in January 2017.
From the September 2016 issue
A Survey of General-Purpose Crowdsourcing Techniques
By Anand Inasu Chittilappilly, Lei Chen, Member, IEEE, and Sihem Amer-Yahia
Since Jeff Howe introduced the term Crowdsourcing in 2006, this human-powered problem-solving paradigm has gained a lot of attention and has been a hot research topic in the field of computer science. Even though a lot of work has been conducted on this topic, so far we do not have a comprehensive survey on most relevant work done in the crowdsourcing field. In this paper, we aim to offer an overall picture of the current state of the art techniques in general-purpose crowdsourcing. According to their focus, we divide this work into three parts, which are: incentive design, task assignment, and quality control. For each part, we start with different problems faced in that area followed by a brief description of existing work and a discussion of pros and cons. In addition, we also present a real scenario on how the different techniques are used in implementing a location-based crowdsourcing platform, gMission. Finally, we highlight the limitations of the current general-purpose crowdsourcing techniques and present some open problems in this area.
Editorials and Announcements
- We are pleased to announce that Xuemin Lin, a Scientia Professor in the School of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of New South Wales, Australia, has been named the new Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering starting in 2017.
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- TKDE celebrates its 25th Anniversary. Editor-in-Chief Jian Pei says, "We are celebrating the 25th Anniversary of TKDE. Since its first issue in March 1989, TKDE has published 2,981 articles, and another 220 articles in the early access portal. With 898 submissions and 79 accepted articles in 2012, TKDE is now the premier journal in the broad and general fields of data management, data mining, and knowledge engineering. We thank all the authors, reviewers, and readers for their continuing support to TKDE. As always, we are eager to hear your ideas and suggestions, and will do our best to meet your expectations. With all your passions, contributions, and supports, TKDE is embracing the new era of big data and big data analytics. Happy birthday to TKDE!"
- In Memoriam: Chittoor V. Ramamoorthy, PhD 1926-2016 (June 2016)
- State of the Journal (January 2016)
- Editorial (August 2015)
- State of the Journal Editorial (January 2015)
- Editorial: State of the Transactions (January 2014)
- Editorial (August 2013)
- New EIC Editorial (February 2013)
- Outgoing EIC Editorial (February 2013)
- State of the Journal (February 2012)
- EIC Editorial (January 2011)
- Special Section on the International Conference on Data Engineering (February 2016)
- Special Section on the International Conference on Data Engineering (July 2015)
- Special Section on the International Conference on Data Engineering (June 2014)
- Special Section on the 27th International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE 2011)(Oct 2012)
- Special Section on Keyword Search on Structured Data (Dec 2011)
- Cloud Data Management (Sept 2011)
- Special Section on the 26th International Conference on Data Engineering (Aug 2011)
Access recently published TKDE articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TKDE content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.