IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing
IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing (TDSC) is a bimonthly journal that publishes archival research results focusing on foundations, methodologies, and mechanisms that support the achievement—through design, modeling, and evaluation—of systems and networks that are dependable and secure to the desired degree without compromising performance. Read the full scope of TDSC
Expand your horizons with Colloquium, a monthly survey of abstracts from all CS transactions! Replaces OnlinePlus in January 2017.
From the July/August 2016 issue
Cloning Your Gadgets: Complete ROP Attack Immunity with Multi-Variant Execution
By Stijn Volckaert, Bart Coppens, and Bjorn De Sutter
In this paper, we present disjoint code layouts (DCL), a technique that complements multi-variant execution  and W$\oplus$ X protection to effectively immunize programs against control flow hijacking exploits such as return oriented programming (ROP)  and return-to-libc attacks . DCL improves upon address space partitioning (ASP), an earlier technique presented to defeat memory exploits. Unlike ASP, our solution keeps the full virtual address space available to the protected program. Additionally, our combination of DCL with Multi-Variant Execution is transparent to both the user and the programmer and incurs much less overhead than other ROP defense tools, both in terms of run time and memory footprint.
Editorials and Announcements
Call for Papers
- Special Issue on Data-Driven Dependability and Security
Full Paper Regular Submission Due: November 16, 2016
- Paradigm Shifts in Cryptographic Engineering
Submission Deadline: January 31, 2017
- Open call for papers for TDSC
- Editor's Note (July/August 2016)
- The State of the Journal (January/February 2016)
- The State of the Journal (March/April 2014)
- Editor's Note (May/June 2014)
- Editorial (January/February 2014)
- Editorial (January/February 2012)
- Special Issue on Cyber Crime (March/April 2016)
- Special Issue on Reliable and Secure VANETs (Jan/Feb 2016)
- Special Issue on Security and Privacy in Mobile Platforms (May/June 2014)
Access recently published TDSC articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TDSC content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
Swimming with Sharks: Security Roundtable