IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing
IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing (TDSC) is a bimonthly journal that publishes archival research results focusing on foundations, methodologies, and mechanisms that support the achievement—through design, modeling, and evaluation—of systems and networks that are dependable and secure to the desired degree without compromising performance. Read the full scope of TDSC
Expand your horizons with Colloquium, a monthly survey of abstracts from all CS transactions! Replaces OnlinePlus in January 2017.
From the January/February 2017 issue
Trapdoor Computational Fuzzy Extractors and Stateless Cryptographically-Secure Physical Unclonable Functions
By Charles Herder, Ling Ren, Marten van Dijk, Meng-Day (Mandel) Yu, and Srinivas Devadas
We present a fuzzy extractor whose security can be reduced to the hardness of Learning Parity with Noise (LPN) and can efficiently correct a constant fraction of errors in a biometric source with a “noise-avoiding trapdoor.” Using this computational fuzzy extractor, we present a stateless construction of a cryptographically-secure Physical Unclonable Function. Our construct requires no non-volatile (permanent) storage, secure or otherwise, and its computational security can be reduced to the hardness of an LPN variant under the random oracle model. The construction is “stateless,” because there is no information stored between subsequent queries, which mitigates attacks against the PUF via tampering. Moreover, our stateless construction corresponds to a PUF whose outputs are free of noise because of internal error-correcting capability, which enables a host of applications beyond authentication. We describe the construction, provide a proof of computational security, analysis of the security parameter for system parameter choices, and present experimental evidence that the construction is practical and reliable under a wide environmental range.
Editorials and Announcements
Call for Papers
- Paradigm Shifts in Cryptographic Engineering
Extended Submission Deadline: March 31, 2017
- Special Issue on Emerging Attacks and Solutions for Secure Hardware in the Internet of Things
Submission Deadline: June 31, 2017
- Open call for papers for TDSC
- The State of the Journal Editorial (January/February 2017)
- Editor's Note (July/August 2016)
- The State of the Journal (January/February 2016)
- The State of the Journal (March/April 2014)
- Editor's Note (May/June 2014)
- Editorial (January/February 2014)
- Editorial (January/February 2012)
- Special Issue on Cyber Crime (March/April 2016)
- Special Issue on Reliable and Secure VANETs (Jan/Feb 2016)
- Special Issue on Security and Privacy in Mobile Platforms (May/June 2014)
Access recently published TDSC articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TDSC content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
Swimming with Sharks: Security Roundtable