IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing
Expand your horizons with Colloquium, a monthly survey of abstracts from all CS transactions!
From the April-June 2018 issue
Statistical Learning for Anomaly Detection in Cloud Server Systems: A Multi-Order Markov Chain Framework
By Wenyao Sha, Yongxin Zhu, Min Chen, and Tian Huang
As a major strategy to ensure the safety of IT infrastructure, anomaly detection plays a more important role in cloud computing platform which hosts the entire applications and data. On top of the classic Markov chain model, we proposed in this paper a feasible multi-order Markov chain based framework for anomaly detection. In this approach, both the high-order Markov chain and multivariate time series are adopted to compose a scheme described in algorithms along with the training procedure in the form of statistical learning framework. To curb time and space complexity, the algorithms are designed and implemented with non-zero value table and logarithm values in initial and transition matrices. For validation, the series of system calls and the corresponding return values are extracted from classic Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) intrusion detection evaluation data set to form a two-dimensional test input set. The testing results show that the multi-order approach is able to produce more effective indicators: in addition to the absolute values given by an individual single-order model, the changes in ranking positions of outputs from different-order ones also correlate closely with abnormal behaviours.
Editorials and Announcements
- We are pleased to announce that TCC is now indexed in Clarivate Analytics' Web of Science under the Science Citation Index (SCI) and will receive an impact factor in the 2017 Journal Citation Report.
- Heartfelt congratulations are offered to TCC's Editor-in-Chief Hui Lei, who received a 2017 IEEE Computer Society Technical Achievement Award "for pioneering contributions to scalable access to real-world data." Read more.
- Congratulations to Hui Lei on his reappointment as 2018-2019 Editor-in-Chief of IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing. Dr. Lei is CTO, Watson Health Cloud at IBM, where he provides leadership on the Watson Health Cloud technical strategy and spearheads the development of the Watson Health Cloud platform.
- Introduction to the IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing by Rajkumar Buyya (PDF)
- Welcome Message by Jon Rokne (PDF)
- TCC: State of the Transactions (Jan-March 2018)
- TCC: State of the Transactions (Jan-March 2017)
- A Message from the New Editor-in-Chief (Jan-March 2016)
- IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing: Entering Its Fourth Year with Confidence (Jan-March 2016)
- A Status Report on IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing (April-June 2015)
- Guest Editor's Introduction to the Special Issue on Security and Privacy on Clouds (April-June 2018)
- Special Issue on Green and Energy-Efficient Cloud Computing: Part II (April-June 2017)
- Special Issue on Green and Energy-Efficient Cloud Computing: Part I (April-June 2016)
- Special Issue on Scientific Cloud Computing (Jan-March 2016)
- Special Issue on Economics and Market Mechanisms for Cloud Computing (July-Sept 2015)
- Cloud Security (Oct-Dec 2014)
Call for Papers
General Call for Papers
General call for papers. View PDF.
Access recently published TCC articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of recently published TCC content
Sign up for e-mail notifications through IEEE Xplore Content Alerts
View TCC preprints in the Computer Society Digital Library
TCC is financially cosponsored by:
TCC is technically cosponsored by: