IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing
Expand your horizons with Colloquium, a monthly survey of abstracts from all CS transactions!
From the January-March 2018 issue
Scalable pCT Image Reconstruction Delivered as a Cloud Service
By R. Chard, R. Madduri, N.T. Karonis, K. Chard, K.L. Duffin, C.E. Ordonez, T.D. Uram, J. Fleischauer, I.T. Foster, M.E. Papka, and J. Winans
We describe a cloud-based medical image reconstruction service designed to meet a real-time and daily demand to reconstruct thousands of images from proton cancer treatment facilities worldwide. Rapid reconstruction of a three-dimensional Proton Computed Tomography (pCT) image can require the transfer of 100 GB of data and use of approximately 120 GPU-enabled compute nodes. The nature of proton therapy means that demand for such a service is sporadic and comes from potentially hundreds of clients worldwide. We thus explore the use of a commercial cloud as a scalable and cost-efficient platform for pCT reconstruction. To address the high performance requirements of this application we leverage Amazon Web Services’ GPU-enabled cluster resources that are provisioned with high performance networks between nodes. To support episodic demand, we develop an on-demand multi-user provisioning service that can dynamically provision and resize clusters based on image reconstruction requirements, priorities, and wait times. We compare the performance of our pCT reconstruction service running on commercial cloud resources with that of the same application on dedicated local high performance computing resources. We show that we can achieve scalable and on-demand reconstruction of large scale pCT images for simultaneous multi-client requests, processing images in less than 10 minutes for less than $10 per image.
Editorials and Announcements
- We are pleased to announce that TCC is now indexed in Clarivate Analytics' Web of Science under the Science Citation Index (SCI) and will receive an impact factor in the 2017 Journal Citation Report.
- Heartfelt congratulations are offered to TCC's Editor-in-Chief Hui Lei, who received a 2017 IEEE Computer Society Technical Achievement Award "for pioneering contributions to scalable access to real-world data." Read more.
- Congratulations to Hui Lei on his reappointment as 2018-2019 Editor-in-Chief of IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing. Dr. Lei is CTO, Watson Health Cloud at IBM, where he provides leadership on the Watson Health Cloud technical strategy and spearheads the development of the Watson Health Cloud platform.
- Introduction to the IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing by Rajkumar Buyya (PDF)
- Welcome Message by Jon Rokne (PDF)
- TCC: State of the Transactions (Jan-March 2018)
- TCC: State of the Transactions (Jan-March 2017)
- A Message from the New Editor-in-Chief (Jan-March 2016)
- IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing: Entering Its Fourth Year with Confidence (Jan-March 2016)
- A Status Report on IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing (April-June 2015)
- Special Issue on Green and Energy-Efficient Cloud Computing: Part II (April-June 2017)
- Special Issue on Green and Energy-Efficient Cloud Computing: Part I (April-June 2016)
- Special Issue on Scientific Cloud Computing (Jan-March 2016)
- Special Issue on Economics and Market Mechanisms for Cloud Computing (July-Sept 2015)
- Cloud Security (Oct-Dec 2014)
Call for Papers
General Call for Papers
General call for papers. View PDF.
Access recently published TCC articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of recently published TCC content
Sign up for e-mail notifications through IEEE Xplore Content Alerts
View TCC preprints in the Computer Society Digital Library
TCC is financially cosponsored by:
TCC is technically cosponsored by: