IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing
Expand your horizons with Colloquium, a monthly survey of abstracts from all CS transactions!
From the October-December 2018 issue
Securing Services in Networked Cloud Infrastructures
By Vijay Varadharajan and Udaya Tupakula
In this paper, we propose techniques and architecture for securing services that are hosted in a multi-tenant networked cloud infrastructures. Our architecture is based on trusted virtual domains and takes into account both security policies of the tenant domains as well as specific security policies of the virtual machines in the tenant domains. We describe techniques for detecting a range of attacks such as attacks between the virtual machines within a trusted virtual domain, attacks between the virtual machines in different domains, malicious insider attacks and attacks against specific services such as DNS, database and web servers within a domain. We address security policies for trusted virtual domain management such as secure addition and deletion of a virtual machine and the revocation of privileges associated with a virtual machine in a domain. We also discuss forensic analysis of attacks and fine granular detection of malicious entities and mechanisms for restoration of services. Furthermore the proposed architecture provides mechanisms for enhancing the assurance of communications between the virtual machines in different domains. Finally, we present the implementation of our security architecture using Xen and illustrate how our architecture is able to secure services in networked cloud infrastructures.
Editorials and Announcements
- According to the 2018 Journal Citation Reports (based on 2017 data and released by Clarivate Analytics), TCC has a journal impact factor of 7.928 and is ranked third among all journals around the world in the category of "Computer Science - Information Systems."
- Heartfelt congratulations are offered to TCC's Editor-in-Chief Hui Lei, who received a 2017 IEEE Computer Society Technical Achievement Award "for pioneering contributions to scalable access to real-world data." Read more.
- Congratulations to Hui Lei on his reappointment as 2018-2019 Editor-in-Chief of IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing. Dr. Lei is CTO, Watson Health Cloud at IBM, where he provides leadership on the Watson Health Cloud technical strategy and spearheads the development of the Watson Health Cloud platform.
- Introduction to the IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing by Rajkumar Buyya (PDF)
- Welcome Message by Jon Rokne (PDF)
- TCC: State of the Transactions (Jan-March 2018)
- TCC: State of the Transactions (Jan-March 2017)
- A Message from the New Editor-in-Chief (Jan-March 2016)
- IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing: Entering Its Fourth Year with Confidence (Jan-March 2016)
- A Status Report on IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing (April-June 2015)
- Guest Editor's Introduction to the Special Issue on Security and Privacy on Clouds (April-June 2018)
- Special Issue on Green and Energy-Efficient Cloud Computing: Part II (April-June 2017)
- Special Issue on Green and Energy-Efficient Cloud Computing: Part I (April-June 2016)
- Special Issue on Scientific Cloud Computing (Jan-March 2016)
- Special Issue on Economics and Market Mechanisms for Cloud Computing (July-Sept 2015)
- Cloud Security (Oct-Dec 2014)
Call for Papers
General Call for Papers
General call for papers. View PDF.
Access recently published TCC articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of recently published TCC content
Sign up for e-mail notifications through IEEE Xplore Content Alerts
View TCC preprints in the Computer Society Digital Library
TCC is financially cosponsored by:
TCC is technically cosponsored by: