IEEE/ACM Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics
IEEE/ACM Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics (TCBB) is a bimonthly journal that publishes archival research results related to the algorithmic, mathematical, statistical, and computational methods that are central in bioinformatics and computational biology. Read the full scope of TCBB
Expand your horizons with Colloquium, a monthly survey of abstracts from all CS transactions! Replaces OnlinePlus in January 2017.
From the January/February 2017 Issue
Symbiosis-Based Alternative Learning Multi-Swarm Particle Swarm Optimization
By Ben Niu, Huali Huang, Lijing Tan, and Qiqi Duan
Inspired by the ideas from the mutual cooperation of symbiosis in natural ecosystem, this paper proposes a new variant of PSO, named Symbiosis-based Alternative Learning Multi-swarm Particle Swarm Optimization (SALMPSO). A learning probability to select one exemplar out of the center positions, the local best position, and the historical best position including the experience of internal and external multiple swarms, is used to keep the diversity of the population. Two different levels of social interaction within and between multiple swarms are proposed. In the search process, particles not only exchange social experience with others that are from their own sub-swarms, but also are influenced by the experience of particles from other fellow sub-swarms. According to the different exemplars and learning strategy, this model is instantiated as four variants of SALMPSO and a set of 15 test functions are conducted to compare with some variants of PSO including 10, 30 and 50 dimensions, respectively. Experimental results demonstrate that the alternative learning strategy in each SALMPSO version can exhibit better performance in terms of the convergence speed and optimal values on most multimodal functions in our simulation.
Editorials and Announcements
- We are pleased to announce that Aidong Zhang, the SUNY Distinguished Professor in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at the University at Buffalo, The State University of New York, has been named the new Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE/ACM Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics starting in 2017.
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- Editorial from the Editor-in-Chief by Y. Xu (January/February 2015)
- Reviewer Appreciation Editorial by Y. Xu (July/August 2014)
- EIC Editorial by M.-F. Sagot (March/April 2011)
- EIC Editorial by M.-F. Sagot (January/February 2011)
- Special Section on Bio-Inspired Swarm Computing and Engineering (Jan/Feb 2017)
- Special Section on Big Data Computing and Processing in Computational Biology and Bioinformatics (Sept/Oct 2016)
- Introduction to the Special Section on Emerging Security Trends for Biomedical Computations, Devices, and Infrastructures (May/June 2016)
- Special Section on Semantic-Based Approaches for Analysis of Biological Data (March/April 2016)
- Special Section on the 10th International Conference on Intelligent Computing (ICIC) (Jan/Feb 2016)
- 13th Asia Pacific Bioinformatics Conference (Nov/Dec 2015)
- Knowledge Discovery Using Big Data in Biomedical Systems (July/August 2015)
- TCBB Special Section on the Brazilian Symposium on Bioinformatics 2013 (May/June 2015)
- Special Section on BIBM 2013 (March/April 2015)
- Selected Papers from ACM-BCB 2013 (Jan/Feb 2015)
- Special Section on BIOKDD2013 (Sept/Oct 2014)
- 12th Asia Pacific Bioinformatics Conference (July/August 2014)
- Pattern Recognition in Bioinformatics (May/June 2014)
- Special Section on Bioinformatics Research and Applications (May/June 2014)
- Bioinformatics and Computational Systems Biology (July/August 2012)
- High Performance Computational Systems Biology (May/June 2012)
- Special Section on Bioinformatics Research and Applications (July/August 2011)
- Special Focus on Bioinformatics and Systems Biology (March/April 2011)
- Special Section on Bioinformatics Research and Applications (Oct/Dec 2010)
Access All Recently Published TCBB Articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TCBB content added to the digital library
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
TCBB is a joint publication of the IEEE Computer Society, Association for Computing Machinery, IEEE Computational Intelligence Society, and the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society.
Published in cooperation with: IEEE Control Systems Society
Indexed in MEDLINE®/PubMed® & ISI