IEEE Transactions on Computers
IEEE Transactions on Computers (TC) is a monthly publication that publishes research in such areas as computer organizations and architectures, digital devices, operating systems, and new and important applications and trends.
Expand your horizons with Colloquium, a monthly survey of abstracts from all CS transactions!
From the July 2018 issue
A Compositional Approach for Verifying Protocols Running on On-Chip Networks
By Freek Verbeek, Pooria M. Yaghini, Ashkan Eghbal, and Nader Bagherzadeh
In modern many-core architectures, advanced on-chip networks provide the means of communication for the cores. This greatly complicates the design and verification of the cache coherence protocols deployed by those cores. A common approach to deal with this complexity is to decompose the whole system into the protocol and the network. This decomposition is, however, not always possible. For example, unexpected deadlocks can emerge when a deadlock-free protocol and a deadlock-free network are combined. This paper proposes a compositional methodology: prove properties over a network, prove properties over a protocol, and infer properties over the system as a whole. Our methodology is based on theorems that show that such decomposition is possible by having sufficiently large local buffers at the cores. We apply this methodology to verify several protocols such as MI, MSI, MESI and MEUSI running on top of advanced interconnects with adaptive routing.
Editorials and Announcements
- TC now offers authors access to Code Ocean. Code Ocean is a cloud-based executable research platform that allows authors to share their algorithms in an effort to make the world’s scientific code more open and reproducible. Learn more or sign up for free.
- Multimedia presentations of each monthly featured paper are now available in Chinese, English, and Spanish
Call for Papers
- Special Section on Computer Arithmetic - Submission deadline: 15 Oct. 2018
- State of the Journal (Jan 2018)
- State of the Journal (Jan 2017)
- State of the Journal (July 2016)
- State of the Journal (Jan 2016)
- Special Section on Secure Computer Architectures (March 2018)
- Introduction to the Special Issue on Computer Arithmetic (December 2017)
- Special Section on Advanced Techniques for Efficient and Reliable Cloud Storage (August 2016)
- Special Section on Emerging Memory Technologies in Very Large Scale Computing and Storage Systems (April 2016)
- IEEE Transactions on Computers and IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology Joint Special Section on Defect and Fault Tolerance in VLSI and Nanotechnology Systems (March 2016)
Access Recently Published TC Articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of recently published TC content
Sign up for e-mail notifications through IEEE Xplore Content Alerts
View TC preprints in the Computer Society Digital Library
A Message from Editor-in-Chief Paolo Montuschi
Importance of Coherence Protocols with Network Applications on Multi-Core Processors
Automated Generation of Performance and Dependability Models for the Assessment of Wireless Sensor Networks