IEEE-CS to Honor 14 Technologists at Awards Dinner in Seattle
- Carl K. Chang, computer science professor and chair at Iowa State University, 2012 Richard E. Merwin Distinguished Service Award for exemplary leadership and service to the IEEE Computer Society and the profession;
- Paul Croll, IEEE Computer Society Vice President for Technical and Conference Activities, 2012 Hans Karlsson Award for achievement in computer standards;
- Michael Franz, professor of computer science at the University of California Irvine, 2012 Technical Achievement Award "for pioneering contributions to just-in-time compilation and optimization, significantly advancing web application technology.;
- Johannes Gehrke, computer science professor at Cornell University, 2011 Technical Achievement Award, for pioneering contributions to data mining and distributed query processing techniques;
- Ling Liu, computer science professor at Georgia Institute of Technology, 2012 Technical Achievement Award for pioneering contributions to Internet data management and decentralized trust management;
- Klara Nahrstedt, computer science professor at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2012 Technical Achievement Award for contributions to end-to-end quality of service and resource management in wired and wireless networks;
- Beng Chin Ooi, professor of computer science and dean of the School of Computing at National University of Singapore, Tsutomu Kanai Award, for pioneering research in distributed database management and peer-to-peer-based enterprise quality management;
- Mei-Ling Shyu, an associate electrical and computer engineering professor at University of Miami, 2012 Technical Achievement Award for pioneering contributions to multimedia data mining, management, and retrieval; and
- Xindong Wu, a professor of computer science at the University of Vermont, Technical Achievement Award for pioneering contributions to data mining and applications.
About IEEE Computer Society
IEEE Computer Society is the world’s leading membership organization for professionals in all aspects of modern computing – from cloud to big data, security to mobile, robotics to software defined systems, wearables to IoT. A true community for technology leaders, Computer Society provides resources to keep its members current in technology and moving forward in their professions – publications, a renowned digital library, a vast program of conferences, technical committees, and much more. The Computer Society also serves the profession at large through establishment of standards, professional qualifications and certifications, training and education programs, events on leading-edge technologies, conference publishing, and a wealth of other services and programs focused on advancing the science and art of computing. More information on IEEE Computer Society can be found at www.computer.org.