Transactions on Software Engineering
The IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (TSE) is an archival journal published bimonthly. We are interested in well-defined theoretical results and empirical studies that have potential impact on the construction, analysis, or management of software. Read the full scope of TSE
Expand your horizons with Colloquium, a monthly survey of abstracts from all CS transactions! Replaces OnlinePlus in January 2017.
From the July 2017 Issue
A Dissection of the Test-Driven Development Process: Does It Really Matter to Test-First or to Test-Last?
By Davide Fucci, Hakan Erdogmus, Burak Turhan, Markku Oivo, and Natalia Juristo
Background: Test-driven development (TDD) is a technique that repeats short coding cycles interleaved with testing. The developer first writes a unit test for the desired functionality, followed by the necessary production code, and refactors the code. Many empirical studies neglect unique process characteristics related to TDD iterative nature. Aim: We formulate four process characteristic: sequencing, granularity, uniformity, and refactoring effort. We investigate how these characteristics impact quality and productivity in TDD and related variations. Method: We analyzed 82 data points collected from 39 professionals, each capturing the process used while performing a specific development task. We built regression models to assess the impact of process characteristics on quality and productivity. Quality was measured by functional correctness. Result: Quality and productivity improvements were primarily positively associated with the granularity and uniformity. Sequencing, the order in which test and production code are written, had no important influence. Refactoring effort was negatively associated with both outcomes. We explain the unexpected negative correlation with quality by possible prevalence of mixed refactoring. Conclusion: The claimed benefits of TDD may not be due to its distinctive test-first dynamic, but rather due to the fact that TDD-like processes encourage fine-grained, steady steps that improve focus and flow.
Editorials and Announcements
- Connecting and Serving the Software Engineering Community (March 2016)
- Editorial: Journal-First Publication for the Software Engineering Community (Jan 2016)
- State of the Journal Editorial (Jan 2015)
- In Memoriam: Mary Jean Harrold (1947-2013) (Nov 2013)
- Editorial (Sept 2013)
- In Memoriam—David Notkin (1953-2013) (June 2013)
- Editorial (May 2013)
- E-ditorial: State of the Journal (Feb 2013)
- Special Section on the International Symposium on Software Testing and Analysis (March/April 2012)
- Special Section on the International Conference on Software Engineering (Jan/Feb 2012)
- Special Section on Socio-Technical Environment of Software Development Projects (May/June 2011)
- Search Based Software Engineering: Introduction to the Special Issue of the IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (Nov/Dec 2010)
- 2008 Conference on the Foundations of Software Engineering (Sept/Oct 2010)
- The Best Papers of ISSTA (Jul/Aug 2010)
Access All Recently Published TSE Articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TSE content added to the digital library
Sign up for the Transactions Connection Newsletter.
A PrePrint is an article that has been accepted for publication in a future issue of this journal, but has not been fully edited. Content may change prior to final publication