IEEE Transactions on Haptics
Expand your horizons with Colloquium, a monthly survey of abstracts from all CS transactions! Replaces OnlinePlus in January 2017.
From the January-March 2017 issue
Development and Experimental Validation of a Haptic Compass Based on Asymmetric Torque Stimuli
By Jean-Philippe Choiniere and Clement Gosselin
This paper presents the design, control, and experimental validation of a haptic compass, designed as a guiding device for all environments. The proposed device uses the principle of asymmetric torques. Its design is based on a direct drive motor and a pre-calibrated open-loop control, which allows the generation of stimuli in a wide range of frequencies. User studies are presented and show optimum effectiveness in the frequency range 5-15 Hz and for torques over 40 mNm. The use of a haptic feedback proportional to the angle error is then shown to significantly improve the results. An experimental validation by a group of‘ subjects with the portable device using these stimuli is reported. The results show that all subjects met all route objectives with small lateral deviations (avg. 0.39 m).
Editorials and Announcements
- Read "Designing Effective Refreshable Braille Displays" written by EIC Lynette Jones that discusses an influential paper by Alexander Russomanno and colleagues published in the July-September 2015 issue which examined the features necessary for effective braille reading using a refreshable display.
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- ToH Citations for Meritorious Service (2008-2016)
- Editorial (Jan-March 2017)
- EIC Editorial (Jan-March 2016)
- Editorial (Jan-March 2015)
- Editorial (Jan-March 2014)
- Haptics in Neuroscience (Oct-Dec 2016)
- Biology to Technology in Active Touch Sensing – Introduction to the Special Section (April-June 2016)
- Haptic Assistive Technology for Individuals who are Visually Impaired (July-Sept 2015)
- News from the Field (Jan-March 2017)
- News from the Field (July-Sept 2016)
- News from the Field (April-June 2016)
- Book Review: Taking the Other Cinderella to the Ball: A Review of Psychology of Touch and Blindness (PDF)
- News from the Field (July-Sept 2015)
- News from the Field: Coders and the Creative Unite to Design and Build Apps for Surface Haptics (April-June 2015)
- News from the Field Asia Haptics (Jan-March 2015)
Call for Papers
- Special Issue on Applications of Smart Materials to Haptics (PDF)
Extended Submission Deadline: May 1, 2017.
- Submit your papers to ToH. Open Ended call for papers (PDF)
Access recently published ToH articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest ToH content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
ToH is a joint publication of the IEEE Computer Society, IEEE Robotics and Automation Society and the IEEE Consumer Electronics Society.
Indexed in MEDLINE®/PubMed® & ISI