IEEE Transactions on Haptics
Expand your horizons with Colloquium, a monthly survey of abstracts from all CS transactions!
From the October-December 2017 issue
Characterizing and Imaging Gross and Real Finger Contacts under Dynamic Loading
By S. Bochereau, B. Dzidek, M. Adams, and V. Hayward
We describe an instrument intended to study finger contacts under tangential dynamic loading. This type of loading is relevant to the natural conditions when touch is used to discriminate and identify the properties of the surfaces of objects—it is also crucial during object manipulation. The system comprises a high performance tribometer able to accurately record in vivo the components of the interfacial forces when a finger interacts with arbitrary surfaces which is combined with a high-speed, high-definition imaging apparatus. Broadband skin excitation reproducing the dynamic contact loads previously identified can be effected while imaging the contact through a transparent window, thus closely approximating the condition when the skin interacts with a non-transparent surface during sliding. As a preliminary example of the type of phenomenon that can be identified with this apparatus, we show that traction in the range from 10 to 1000 Hz tends to decrease faster with excitation frequency for dry fingers than for moist fingers.
Editorials and Announcements
- An article by Domenico Prattichizzo and his colleagues at the University of Siena, Italy on a wearable haptic device that will be published in Transactions in Haptics has been featured in Science magazine news: http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/04/finger-devices-let-users-touch-objects-virtual-reality
- Read "A Haptic Compass for Navigation" written by EIC Lynette Jones for the Spotlight series in Computer magazine that discusses a paper by J.P. Choinière and C. Gosselin published in the January-March 2017 issue which examined the use of asymmetric torque stimuli presented in a hand-held device as a navigation aid.
- TOH Citations for Meritorious Service (2008-2016)
- Editorial (Jan-March 2017)
- EIC Editorial (Jan-March 2016)
- Editorial (Jan-March 2015)
- Editorial (Jan-March 2014)
- Haptics in Neuroscience (Oct-Dec 2016)
- Biology to Technology in Active Touch Sensing – Introduction to the Special Section (April-June 2016)
- Haptic Assistive Technology for Individuals who are Visually Impaired (July-Sept 2015)
- News from the Field (July-Sept 2017)
- News from the Field (Jan-March 2017)
- News from the Field (July-Sept 2016)
- News from the Field (April-June 2016)
- Book Review: Taking the Other Cinderella to the Ball: A Review of Psychology of Touch and Blindness (PDF)
- News from the Field (July-Sept 2015)
- News from the Field: Coders and the Creative Unite to Design and Build Apps for Surface Haptics (April-June 2015)
- News from the Field Asia Haptics (Jan-March 2015)
Access recently published TOH articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of recently published TOH content
Sign up for e-mail notifications through IEEE Xplore Content Alerts
View TOH preprints in the Computer Society Digital Library
TOH is a joint publication of the IEEE Computer Society, IEEE Robotics and Automation Society and the IEEE Consumer Electronics Society.
Indexed in MEDLINE®/PubMed® & ISI