IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing
IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing (TMC) is a scholarly archival journal published monthly that focuses on the key technical issues related to Mobile Computing. It is the intent of TMC to publish mature works of research, typically those that have appeared in part in conferences. Furthermore, it is the intent of TMC to focus on issues at the link-layer and above in wireless communications, and to focus only on topics explicitly or plausibly related to mobile systems. Read the full scope of TMC
Expand your horizons with Colloquium, a monthly survey of abstracts from all CS transactions! Replaces OnlinePlus in January 2017.
From the April 2017 issue
Optimized Upload Strategies for Live Scalable Video Transmission from Mobile Devices
By Matti Siekkinen, Enrico Masala, and Jukka K. Nurminen
Sharing live multimedia content is becoming increasingly popular among mobile users. In this article, we study the problem of optimizing video quality in such a scenario using scalable video coding (SVC) and chunked video content. We consider using only standard stateless HTTP servers that do not need to perform additional processing of the video content. Our key contribution is to provide close to optimal algorithms for scheduling video chunk upload for multiple clients having different viewing delays. Given such a set of clients, the problem is to decide which chunks to upload and in which order to upload them so that the quality-delay tradeoff can be optimally balanced. We show by means of simulations that the proposed algorithms can achieve notably better performance than naive solutions in practical cases. Especially the heuristic-based greedy algorithm is a good candidate for deployment on mobile devices because it is not computationally intensive but it still delivers in most cases on-par video quality compared to the more complex local optimization algorithm. We also show that using shorter video segments and being able to predict bandwidth and video chunk properties improve the delivered video quality in certain cases.
Editorials and Announcements
- We are pleased to announce that Kevin Almeroth, Professor of Computer Science at the University of California in Santa Barbara, has been named the new Associate Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing starting in 2017.
- We are pleased to announce that Marwan Krunz, the Kenneth VonBehren Endowed Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Arizona, USA, has been named the new Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing starting in 2017.
- According to Thomson Reuters' 2013 Journal Citation Report, TMC has an impact factor of 2.912.
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- Farewell Editorial (Jan 2017)
- EIC Editorial (May 2015)
- State of the Journal (Feb 2015)
- EIC Editorial (July 2014)
- A Message from the Outgoing Editor-in-Chief and Associate Editor-in-Chief (Jan 2014)
- Editorial: Reviewer Appreciation Program (Aug 2013)
- Editorial and Changes to the Editorial Board (Jan 2012)
Access recently published TMC articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TMC content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
Listen to the OnlinePlus podcast: Computer Society Publishing—two more titles migrate to OnlinePlus™ in 2012.
In this podcast, VP of Publications, David Alan Grier talks about Transactions on Mobile Computing and Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems migrating to OnlinePlus™.
TMC is a joint publication of the:
TMC is published in cooperation with: IEEE Electromagnetic Compatibility Society, IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, IEEE Technology Management Council, IEEE Information Theory Society, IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Society, IEEE Power & Energy Society, IEEE Robotics and Automation Society, and IEEE Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Society
TMC is indexed in ISI