IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering
IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE) is an archival journal published monthly designed to inform researchers, developers, managers, strategic planners, users, and others interested in state-of-the-art and state-of-the-practice activities in the knowledge and data engineering area. Read the full scope of TKDE
Expand your horizons with Colloquium, a monthly survey of abstracts from all CS transactions! Replaces OnlinePlus in January 2017.
From the March 2018 issue
Using Reenactment to Retroactively Capture Provenance for Transactions
By B.S. Arab, D. Gawlick, V. Krishnaswamy, V. Radhakrishnan, and B. Glavic
Database provenance explains how results are derived by queries. However, many use cases such as auditing and debugging of transactions require understanding of how the current state of a database was derived by a transactional history. We present MV-semirings, a provenance model for queries and transactional histories that supports two common multi-version concurrency control protocols: snapshot isolation (SI) and read committed snapshot isolation (RC-SI). Furthermore, we introduce an approach for retroactively capturing such provenance using reenactment, a novel technique for replaying a transactional history with provenance capture. Reenactment exploits the time travel and audit logging capabilities of modern DBMS to replay parts of a transactional history using queries. Importantly, our technique requires no changes to the transactional workload or underlying DBMS and results in only moderate runtime overhead for transactions. We have implemented our approach on top of a commercial DBMS and our experiments confirm that by applying novel optimizations we can efficiently capture provenance for complex transactions over large data sets.
Editorials and Announcements
- TKDE now offers authors access to Code Ocean. Code Ocean is a cloud-based executable research platform that allows authors to share their algorithms in an effort to make the world’s scientific code more open and reproducible. Learn more or sign up for free.
- We are pleased to announce that Xuemin Lin, a Scientia Professor in the School of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of New South Wales, Australia, has been named the new Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering starting in 2017.
- New EIC Editorial (March 2017)
- Editorial (January 2017)
- EIC Editorial (October 2016)
- In Memoriam: Chittoor V. Ramamoorthy, PhD 1926-2016 (June 2016)
- State of the Journal (January 2016)
- Editorial (August 2015)
- State of the Journal Editorial (January 2015)
- Special Section on the International Conference on Data Engineering 2015 (March 2017)
- Special Section on the International Conference on Data Engineering (February 2016)
- Special Section on the International Conference on Data Engineering (July 2015)
Access recently published TKDE articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of recently published TKDE content
Sign up for e-mail notifications through IEEE Xplore Content Alerts
View TKDE preprints in the Computer Society Digital Library