We are pleased to introduce to you another “hot topic” special issue of the IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies (TLT). This issue is focused on The Many Facets of Remote Laboratories in Engineering Education. Remote Labs are among the most popular applications of computing technology in engineering education. Not surprisingly, the call for papers for this special issue brought in a record number of submissions. However, a large number of submissions also means a lot of work for the editorial team. We want to acknowledge a great work done by our guest editors, Christophe Gravier and Michael E. Auer, who successfully managed a large set of submitted papers through several revision cycles to distill a set of the best papers, which represent a state-of-the-art snapshot of the field. We also want to thank numerous reviewers and editorial board members who were involved in reviewing the submissions. Our special thanks to Denis Gillet, our newest editorial board member, who helped with reviewing a number of papers.
On the subject of new editorial board members, we would like to formally introduce and welcome several new members who joined the editorial board since the last issue of the journal (we will include short CVs for them in the next issue):
• Rynson Lau, from the City University of Hong Kong, covering virtual reality.
• Denis Gillet, from EPFL Lausanne, covering remote labs and collaborative environments.
• Ralf Klamma, from RWTH Aachen, covering Web 2.0.
• Baltasar Fernández Manjón, from UC in Madrid, covering games and hypermedia.
• Moti Ben-Ari, from the Weizmann Institute in Israel, covering CS education.
• Hugh Davis, from the University of Southampton, covering hypertext and user modeling.
• David Jonassen, from the University of Missouri, covering instructional design.
• Mike Sharples, from the University of Nottingham, covering mobile learning.
This board extension is very timely. The new board members will help us to manage an increasing volume of journal submissions as well as to assure the best quality reviews for papers on a number of our most popular topics. If you were considering submitting a paper on one of these topics to TLT, now is a great time to do it!
Wolfgang Nejdl, Editor-in-Chief
Peter Brusilovsky, Associate Editor-in-Chief
For information on obtaining reprints of this article, please send e-mail to: email@example.com.