The Community for Technology Leaders
2013 IEEE 19th International Symposium on High Performance Computer Architecture (HPCA) (1995)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Jan. 22, 1995 to Jan. 25, 1995
ISBN: 0-8186-6445-2
pp: 78
ABSTRACT
We investigate the relative performance impact of non-blocking loads, stream buffers, and speculative execution both used individually and in conjunction with each other. We have simulated the SPEC92 benchmarks on a statically scheduled quad-issue processor model, running code from the Multiflow compiler. Non-blocking loads and stream buffers both provide a significant performance advantage, and their combination performs significantly better than either alone. For example, with a 64-byte, 2-way set associative cache with 32 cycle fetch latency, non-blocking loads reduce the run-time by 21% while stream-buffers re-duce it by 26%, and the combined use of the two yields a 47% reduction. The addition of speculative execution further improves the performance of the systems that we have simulated, with or without non-blocking loads and stream buffers, by an additional 20% to 40%. We expect that the use of all three of these techniques will be important in future generations of microprocessors.
INDEX TERMS
CITATION
P. Chow, K.I. Farkas, N.P. Jouppi, "How Useful Are Non-Blocking Loads, Stream Buffers and Speculative Execution in Multiple Issue Processors?", 2013 IEEE 19th International Symposium on High Performance Computer Architecture (HPCA), vol. 00, no. , pp. 78, 1995, doi:10.1109/HPCA.1995.386553
186 ms
(Ver 3.3 (11022016))