• cuts in research funding five to 10 years earlier reduced the amount of new AI technology transitioning from the universities,
• the research community disowned the success of the expert systems technology, and
• changes in the computing milieu outside the AI venue caught our community off guard.
• a potentially large cut in funding that will really start to be felt a few years hence,
• an AI research community that's still ready to kill the golden geese, and
• a potential phase transition in the nature of computing that threatens to disrupt the entire computing field, including AI.